asymptomatic left sided inguinal hernia and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

action9

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 25 year old male. Last year I was diagnosed with an asymptomatic left sided inguinal hernia. I do not have any pain when doing any sport or anything but I am doing my first PADI diving course and am a bit worried about the pressure/depth and effect it can have on the hernia. Do you think it is safe, even though you can dive a maximum of 18m? Is the pressure even heavy enough to play any type of role with the Hernia.

Thanks

---------- Post added January 21st, 2013 at 03:45 PM ----------

The doctor also suggested if I do not have any pain then it is not necessary to operate

Hi action9,

The short answer is, "No, the pressures per se exerted by recreational scuba depths will have no effect whatsoever on an inguinal hernia." However, the stress on lower abdominal wall muscle from lifting & climbing about in heavy gear might cause further weakening/tearing and futher protrusion.

The primary concern is that a section of small intestine will protrude through the inguinal canal & become trapped. Then, upon ascent from a dive, gas commonly in that area of bowel could expand to the extent that the intestinal segment is no longer able to retract into the abdomen. In addition to being very painful, with continued entrapment very serious problems can arise that require prompt surgery to correct.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

I'm not a doctor but I have a follow up question for DocV.

Given the location of the hernia, wouldn't it be plausible that the repetitive nature of finning (for example using the frog kick) could cause further complications to the condition? I'm thinking about the increase strain on groin musculature possibly having a domino effect.

R..

I had a right side inguinal hernia and dove for a number of years until I finally had it repaired 7 weeks ago.(just scared of hospitals and surgery) Now, I did dive conservatively during that period and, for me, it wasn't a problem underwater with usual finning etc. But Diver0001 has a point . I had more of a problem getting in and out of water with slight pain. If it was really bothering me, I just did not dive. Now, I am a lot older (60) than the poster and that would be a consideration. DOC Vikingo's advice is very important. From what I understood, if the protrusion occurred with pain etc, you could actually pass out . Not a good thing underwater.
You would have to fill out that medical form, Check off YES somewhere on the form, ( as you have been diagnosed) and get your physician's clearance to participate.
PS I'm really glad I finally had the operation. Got in the pool last night and looking forward to some diving in February.

Given the location of the hernia, wouldn't it be plausible that the repetitive nature of finning (for example using the frog kick) could cause further complications to the condition?R..

Hey Diver0001,

To the extent that a finning style strains the lower abdominal muscle wall, it poses a risk to an inguinal hernia. However, done intelligently & gently finning poses much less risk than lifting/climbing about in heavy gear.

Regards,

Doc

I agree with Doc Vikingo, but also wonder about the advice from your physician. I don't know where you are located, but in the US, it is pretty standard to recommend repair of a hernia when it is found. It's not an emergent problem, but they do tend to enlarge over time, and there is always a risk of incarceration (intestines getting stuck).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom