Assistance with Repairs to SeaDoo Scooter GTI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Re: ZS08 Seadoo Sea Scooter DIY Repair Question

Hi there.

I've a ZS08 Seadoo Sea Scooter which wasn't used for 5 years. After recharging the battery (which is still good even though online it says otherwise), I cannot seem to make the unit work. I want to take the body apart to check the switches. How to open-up the handle bars?

I live in Japan and cannot send the unit half around the world. I am pretty handy and happy to receive your valuable input on what could be the bug, so I can see for myself.

Kind regards,
Patric

I just purchased 2 SeaDoo ZS05 GTI Scooters on Craigs List and I'm trying to get them going. One has a bad gear box but I think it can be salvaged. One of the bearings was shot. Has anybody else replaced the bearings in one of these units? I'd like to get some confirmation of the sizes I came up with. The other one just has bad triggers so If I can fix the gear box, those will be an easy fix.

Best I can tell is the following

Small bearings at either end of each reduction gear is 10mm x 3mm x 4 mm (Micrometer shows 0.393" OD x 0.1175" ID x 0.161" Thick) which makes it a 623-2RS
Large bearing for the drive shaft is 19mm x 8mm x 6mm (Micrometer shows 0.750" OD x 0.314" ID x 0.235" Thick) which makes it a 698-2RS
Medium bearing for the gearbox end of the drive shaft is 14mm x 5mm x 5mm (Micrometer shows 0.557" OD x 0.1955" ID x 0.1965" Thick) which makes it a 605-2RS

I found all these on Amazon and I was able to order enough to completely rebuild both gear boxes for about $25.00.

If I'm successful I'll post the results and specs for everything on here.

One thing I have noticed which looks like a bit of a design flaw is that two of the reduction gears rub against the gearbox housing and eat out a small relief in the plastic. One goes all the way through. Not a major issue but if it ever flooded you would definitely get water inside the gearbox itself. It's not meant to be watertight, but this makes it definitely NOT watertight. This was on both of the ones I got so it wasn't related to the bad bearing.

If anybody has any experience / tips regarding this, please let me know

This is my Good gear box
IMG_2933.jpg
IMG_2934.jpg

This is the shell of the gear box that had the bad bearing.
IMG_2935.jpg

93BCF01E-0154-4CF1-BD33-8D512BB63A73.jpeg
5C641852-665B-4499-BABF-BE48BB194432.jpeg
I just purchased 2 SeaDoo ZS05 GTI Scooters on Craigs List and I'm trying to get them going. One has a bad gear box but I think it can be salvaged. One of the bearings was shot. Has anybody else replaced the bearings in one of these units? I'd like to get some confirmation of the sizes I came up with. The other one just has bad triggers so If I can fix the gear box, those will be an easy fix.

Best I can tell is the following

Small bearings at either end of each reduction gear is 10mm x 3mm x 4 mm (Micrometer shows 0.393" OD x 0.1175" ID x 0.161" Thick) which makes it a 623-2RS
Large bearing for the drive shaft is 19mm x 8mm x 6mm (Micrometer shows 0.750" OD x 0.314" ID x 0.235" Thick) which makes it a 698-2RS
Medium bearing for the gearbox end of the drive shaft is 14mm x 5mm x 5mm (Micrometer shows 0.557" OD x 0.1955" ID x 0.1965" Thick) which makes it a 605-2RS

I found all these on Amazon and I was able to order enough to completely rebuild both gear boxes for about $25.00.

If I'm successful I'll post the results and specs for everything on here.

One thing I have noticed which looks like a bit of a design flaw is that two of the reduction gears rub against the gearbox housing and eat out a small relief in the plastic. One goes all the way through. Not a major issue but if it ever flooded you would definitely get water inside the gearbox itself. It's not meant to be watertight, but this makes it definitely NOT watertight. This was on both of the ones I got so it wasn't related to the bad bearing.

If anybody has any experience / tips regarding this, please let me know

This is my Good gear box
View attachment 513765 View attachment 513766

This is the shell of the gear box that had the bad bearing.
View attachment 513767

Hey Guys,
I also have a Sea Doo VS Supercharged which had been ‘parked’ for a long time. I resurrected the beast and had to order a new battery and got it going ...but only for a a while! After a few uses the propeller stopped turning although the motor was clearly whirring inside.
I opened it up, got to the gearbox ...exactly like the one in your post Aerocheck, and I found one of the reduction gears had been worn away. I am not able to find parts for the gearbox online nor any reference to a part no. Oonly thing I found was a complete gearbox with motor which was more than half the price of a new unit! Not worth that risk I think, especially since I am in Jamaica and to go through shipping hassles etc if I needed to return the item.

Anyone know where I can order the specific reduction gear? See the images attached of
5C641852-665B-4499-BABF-BE48BB194432.jpeg
the worn gear with shaft and bearing attached. Is there somewhere that does repairs that I might get a complete used gearbox that I can salvage parts?

Stuck right now....HELP!!!

Hi Martin,

I never found anybody that would sell individual components either. Luckily all my gears were still serviceable. The one place I found for parts is CORISCO INC.

He is in Lakeland, FL. Seemed pretty decent to work with but I did have to keep on him about sending me all the correct gaskets that I ordered. I'm guessing that is where you found the complete gearbox. If you do decide to order from him I would be absolutely sure to confirm in writing if you are getting a true NEW gearbox or a refurbished one regardless of who you order from. I think these scooters are pretty much orphans now.

Good Luck.

Ray

Hey Ray,
Thank you for the quick response and advice, I found CORISCO’s website and I will give him a call, I see where he has a gearbox with the motor on the parts page for $95 which I would consider getting though I only need the one gear. Maybe a spare motor and gears is useful to keep. It doesn’t say if it is new or reconditioned though, so I will follow your advice to get confirmation in writing.
I will keep you up to date on how I’m getting along, lets keep in touch.
Thanks again,
Martin

One other thing to watch for. There are (If I remember correctly) 2 sensors on or near the gearbox. 1 is sound and the other is temperature. If the temperature one is placed incorrectly when you reassemble the scooter it will run for a few seconds and then shut off. I have that situation on one of mine right now and just haven't had the energy to take it all apart again. I found this information online somewhere but can't find the link right now. If I do find it I will send it to you. It was a while ago when i read that article so i might have some of the details incorrect on this.

The parts from Corisco are all new, not second-hand. Don't worry about the heat and sound sensors, they are useless and you can just leave them disconnected. With the bearings, it isn't really worth replacing them, I've done it many times, the main cause of leaks on these scooters is wear on the prop shafts, so you are better off ordering the whole assembly new for $95. The main problem repairing these scooters is that the plastic is very soft and you can easily strip the threads when tightening screws, this can be fixed only by using longer screws of the same diameter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom