Assessing the prevalence of dental symptoms in SCUBA divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vanish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
We at the University of Rochester's Eastman Institute for Oral Health are conducting a survey to assess teeth problems in SCUBA divers.
As the pressure fluctuates during a dive, divers teeth could be affected. We are conducting a short survey to gather information which will benefit dentists and divers. We need you help to reach our goal of 3000 divers.
Please participate and share this survey 'Assessing the prevalence of dental symptoms in SCUBA divers' with divers in your network.
Here is the link to the survey:Scuba Divers
For more information do not hesitate to contact us at:Word of Mouth - University of Rochester Medical Center

Decay under a crown decades after installation can create an air pocket and result in a squeeze while descending. Happened to me years ago. New crown and no more squeeze.

Done, but I'd be very surprised if you find any correlation between amateur/recreational scuba diving and teeth issues. Given the inverse relationship between depth and dive time such divers only spend any really significant time at shallow depths. The OC tech divers I know that regularly do long deep dives tend to actually spend less time per year under pressure because of the high unit cost of such (mixed gas) dives.
The universe of rebreather divers is probably too small to have any real influence on the way the present survey is worded.
Might be quite different of course if you start isolate commercial and especially saturation divers spending many hours under high pressures. Surely that would be the place to start if you're looking for possible long-term symptoms resulting from pressure exposure. Then in a second stage you would try to determine thresholds for such symptoms among other groups of divers.

Done.
I had an issue on my 2nd day of the OW pool session - the moment we dropped below 10ft or so, I had extremely sharp pain in my back tooth. Thought it was a filling that had degraded over the years or a new cavity but turns out it was my wisdom teeth acting up. Had surgery to have them all extracted and was diving 2 months after that. No issues since.

I tried to take the survey....its terrible. As soon as people get frustrated trying to figure out the multitude of drop box answers.....you fail in survey writing and lose potential responses. Sorry.

The "agency" options are tied to the "highest level of certification" choices and most of the choices do not line up with the correct options from each agency....so...I closed the survey and moved on.

Questions pertaining to loosing teeth asked about dive relationship but it really did not take in consideration of aging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom