Asking the Dok about Flushing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
It was part of an AAUS scientific diving class. Our group went to the regional DAN multichamber, and got a quick 30m "dive" in. We had fun listening to our voices change, the air temperature go hot, and then cold, make condom balloons, etc.. We had a rather fast ascent though, and the technician who went in with us had to go back in, on a gurney with supplemental oxygen. A day or two later, I noticed that my toes were becoming increasingly numb, so I called up DAN, got referred to our local hyperbaric therapy center, and was subsequently treated.

I tried writing up the incident to DAN, but the situation was so bizarre that their standard report form didn't really apply to it. I'm assuming accidents in hyperbaric chambers are rather rare, exclusive to my personal observations.

There's an interesting article on the UHMS's web site about about inside attendants developing DCS from chamber rides. Ussually the attendants aren't breaththing oxygen except for the ascent to the surface so its is possible for them to get bent. If your breathing air under pressure theres a chance you can get bent. Now in your case you went to 30M or 90 FSW, well normally you don't breathe 100% O2 deeper than 60FSW. A lot of times when chambers do those "educational dives" they'll take you to 165FSW so you can get nice and narked. If you were to stay shallower than 60FSW and breathe 100% O2 it would be virtually impossible to get dcs.
Here's the link to the article: http://www.uhms.org/Safety/DCS in Inside Attendants.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom