Asking the Dok about Flushing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Bali

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Doc:
I am an Instructor of 12 years experience, and I have never gotten bent. However from a lot of my friends who suggested me to go through with flushing; sitting through a chamber session trying to eliminate micro bubbles.
My question is; does this really work? and should I go through it regularly?

Rgrds,
David

What the?!

Your friends have got to be kidding. Or maybe they're commercial divers. "Flushing" is something I have never even remotely heard of in recreational diving. Although the theory does appear sound.

I also got DCS from an "educational" chamber dive. Never again will I go into one of those things unless I have to.

David Bali:
Hi Doc:
....a lot of my friends suggested that I go through with flushing; sitting through a chamber session trying to eliminate micro bubbles.

My question is; does this really work? and should I go through it regularly?

Rgrds,
David

Simple answer: If I understand the question properly, the answer is no, it won't do you any lasting good.

Now, hypothetically, if you could go straight from the chamber to your dive site, and, even better, if someone could carry you and your gear there, and put it on you, there are some theoretical benefits!

This has not been studied enough, except perhaps by Doc Deco, to allow for a proper answer. Perhaps the good Doc will weigh in on this one soon.

I would have to say, pending his comments, that not enough real-world benefit will accrue to make this worthwhile.

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks a lot guys! for all of your input.
I did had doubts, thats why I never got around to actually doing it.

I do have a question for Archman:
You said you got DCS on an "educational" chamber ride.
Can you tell you more about it? how did it happen?
I thought they're supposed to get you better if you got bent,
not to get you bent?

Thanks,
David

David Bali:
You said you got DCS on an "educational" chamber ride.Can you tell you more about it? how did it happen?
It was part of an AAUS scientific diving class. Our group went to the regional DAN multichamber, and got a quick 30m "dive" in. We had fun listening to our voices change, the air temperature go hot, and then cold, make condom balloons, etc.. We had a rather fast ascent though, and the technician who went in with us had to go back in, on a gurney with supplemental oxygen. A day or two later, I noticed that my toes were becoming increasingly numb, so I called up DAN, got referred to our local hyperbaric therapy center, and was subsequently treated.

I tried writing up the incident to DAN, but the situation was so bizarre that their standard report form didn't really apply to it. I'm assuming accidents in hyperbaric chambers are rather rare, exclusive to my personal observations.

Hello readers :

A while ago, someone wrote about this practice of “riding a chamber” to ride the body of microbubbles. Our NASA studies indicted that the micronuclei responsible for DCS are generated by normal actions in your day to day activities. :sprite10: Nuclei would thus be regenerated in everyone who was not bed ridden. One should save themselves the time and trouble.

I have heard to people who had problems following a chamber ride. :06:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr. Deco,
Can you give any enlightenment on the mechanism of reduction in bubbles from multi-day dives? Regarding the original question, I know the procedure as a clean up dive with the idea being a day before a Tech dive to make a brief pressure spike dive (i.e. maybe 200') to help rid of micronuclei ... but would the procedure perhaps help due to what ever reason multiday diving reduces DCS risk?

Hello Departure Diver:

Lost Nuclei and Repetitive Dives

Doppler bubbles are reduced as well as DCS and this would indicate to me that the effect lies somewhere with nuclei.
  • nuclei are crushed with each dive and lost to further growth processes,
  • nuclei grow once and then are no longer nuclei [suitable for re-growth] after they shrink (with off gassing),
  • once grown, bubbles move away from sites where they are effective micronuclei for DCS in subsequent dives.

Hello Dr. Deco.
I too am in the same situation as David Bali. I have been diving for about 15 years and have been an instructor for more than 10 years. I have never gotten bent and don't intend to.

I have been reading about Recompression or "Riding the Chamber" to rid one's self of microbubbles. The theory sounds very good to me. Personally, I cannot feel the effects of these microbubbles, but it would sure be a nice psychological relief to know that I can rid my body of micro-bubbles, say, once a year.

Forgive my ignorance and inability to grasp the nuclei bit, but why again is "Riding the Chamber" not advisable? Please explain more about this.

I am really interested in Riding the Chamber.

Hello BOSERO:

You could “ride the chamber” if you wanted to, but you would not rid yourself of micronuclei. Therese appear to be generated [at least the larger ones] from physical activity. Every time you walk and move your limbs, you regenerate nuclei. Loading your dive gear will produce nuclei. When you dive, some of them are reduced in size. When you reboard the boat, some grow once again. :sprite10:

A “ride” would reduce the size of some of them for a few minutes, but they would quickly be regenerated as you walk around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom