Asking about Canon DSLR macro lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Bali

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi folks: for those of you out there who has experience with canon dslr use uw, I want to ask your opinion about 2 macro lens that canon has; the efs 60mm macro vs ef 100mm macro. which is better? they are similar in price but basically i am looking for a better lens which I dont have to spook the subject to get a good shot; ie I can be a bit farther away to shoot let say a commensal shrimp, for example... Thanks

Any UW photo pros care to answer this question? I'm getting ready to buy the lens so I need to decide... Thanks in advance

I'm definitely not a pro, but for real "macro" work like you can do in Indonesia, I'd go with the 100mm lens. Personally, I use an 18-55 mm for standard stuff and then use my 100mm for true macro. It's a little tricky to get used to as it sometimes has some difficulty auto-focusing with my 300D, but it takes great photos. What lenses are you using now?

Most of the "macro" shots on my website (below) were taken with the 100mm lens if you want some examples.

Hi debersole:
I just got my 350D, only have the kit lens 18-55mm, just getting ready to get some lenses. Dont even have a housing yet but decided to wait or a bit cause a lot of housing are getting ready to come into the market, as far as I know, offers from 10bar, fantasea, sea & sea, Patima are all coming up...

Thanks for the advice!

I think I will jump in here if you don't mind. Either the 60 or the 100 would make great macro lens. The 100 has the capability of 1:1 and will allow you to be further away from your subject but has a harder time autofocusing in low light conditions, thus most people use a focusing light to help with autofocus. There are several options regarding focusing lights, the better ones cost a bit over $400.

Yous pays your money and yous takes your chances

imasleeper

Land camera 1D mark IIN
underwater setup
20D
ikelite housing
2-ds125's
10-22mm Wide angle
15mm FE
60mm macro:wink:

OK, sorry I'm late.

These are two very different lenses. The 100 allows you more working room so if you need to be a bit farther away from your subjects, this is a good choice. I've heard that it can hunt in low light. I've had very good results without an aiming light with this lens in my four dives with it so far, but can definitely see the benefits of using one. Yesterday I was shooting under a ledge way back - extremely low light. It still found the eye of my subject, so I was happy and surprised.

The downside of the 100 is that things are HUGE :) That means it's a tougher lens for fish portraits and that you have to be a good distance away from things like nudibranchs. I am finding this very hard to get my head around underwater as I keep trying to get too close! Strangely so far getting close enough has not been a problem. Composition with this lens is a whole other ball game than shooting with the Olympus 5050!

The 60 will still give you 1:1, I think, and you can get closer to things. I like this as sometimes closer in there is something to steady myself on...with the 100 I am finding that I am almost never near something to put a finger on to help hold steady. You will also be able to get more of larger subjects in the frame with this lens. I have both lenses and definitely see the variety of subjects and compositions that are available to me now.

If possible, hit a local store and try both. Get a feel for what you see in the viewfinder and the distance you need to be away. Have a think about what subjects AND what types of compositions you like...I am finding with the 100 that I am pretty limited when I want to take things like soft corals. But it's all a learning curve.

Happy shopping and shooting!

By the way, for DSLR (unless it's 5D and 1Ds) cameras, your lens will have a 1.6x FOV which means your lens will even be more macro (or telephoto).

EF-100mm on your camera will end up being 160mm.
EFS-60mm on your camer will be 60mm.

Personally, 60mm is not macro enough for me.

I used 100mm on my 10D and 20D with that factor and don't have any problem with it. I even like it that way.

The only way to get rid of a 1.6 factor is to get a EF-S lens

Nap: When I shopped for my new 20d rig, I struggled with the 60mm efs vs 100mm macro debate. I assumed, as you do, that the 60mm efs would be a pure 60mm on the 20d because the "s" series lenses were designed for the 22.5x15mm sensor. My friend at my professional camera shop assured me I was wrong and that you have to apply the 1.6 mag factor to the 60 giving it an effective focal length of 96mm. I checked the Canon website and it looks like he was right. CLICK HERE.

David: I bought the 60mm because, in my Nikonos Neanderthal days, I used the close up kit a lot for close in (not macro) fish shots. I figured the 60 would work better than the 100 for this purpose. So far I am very pleased with the 60 in a close up role, but do not own the 100 so I cant compare.

Alcina: As I think you own both lenses, have you calculated the "stand off" distance for the 60 and 100? In other words, if you are shooting 1:1 how much closer do you have to be to the subject with the 60 to reach the inside and outside focal planes ... say at f16 or f22? You could do a land test and then figure in the 25% uw magnification factor.

Also, with moving subjects (in good light) I find the 60 tends to go hunting, usually when I am about to snap the shot. I get my best results in one shot and using CF4 in mode 3 so the thumb control handles the focus set. I have had spotty luck with ai servo. Do you notice a difference between lenses on the ability to maintain focus on a moving subject?

KevReid: You can throw in your comments any time now.

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom