Asia trips and coronavirus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
(Acknowledging that “coronavirus” is nothing new but not sure what the official name of this bugger is)

Have an April trip to N Sulawesi transiting thru Singapore. Hopefully by then things are somewhat sorted out and if not I guess that trip insurance we finally bought might come into play. I’m of the mind that there’s nothing we can do about it so why worry. But we will be monitoring the situation over the next several weeks

No real question just a discussion about traveling to Asia at the moment or near future, resources to check re conditions/ restrictions, etc. I know, Asia is very big and the attn is focused on China but the maps certainly show prevalence in Asia at the moment.

Check your insurance policy very carefully.

I work in Travel insurance and we do NOT cover cancelation or loss of deposits for these types of events.

Reactions: Jay
Don’t follow the media. Sensationalism sells. Use the World Health Organization website: WHO.int.

Check your insurance policy very carefully.

I work in Travel insurance and we do NOT cover cancelation or loss of deposits for these types of events.

we bought the cancel for any reason so if worst comes to worst ...

we bought the cancel for any reason so if worst comes to worst ...

Any reason other than the ones in the exclusions

I had a lot of angry people that were denied a claim because they did not look at the exclusions on the "all inclusive policy".

Reactions: Jay
We’ve booked Cambodia (Siem Reap) and Thailand (Koh Lanta/Andaman Sea) in March/April.

Unless there’s a “do not travel” warning for these places (and our insurance would cover), we’re going to travel and have a great time!

TBH I’m far more worried about Dengue fever, than corona virus.

I also have a trip through Singapore at the end of March. Personally, I am not worried about it. I’d still go unless the operators or common carriers cancel. Or Singapore doesn’t allow me in...or the US cancels all flights to Singapore.

As mentioned, the flu is a bigger problem worldwide with way many more people dying per year, overall but also per X people that get it. Those that have been passing from the Coronavirus are in high risk groups similar to those identified for the flu. The thing that is unique about it is that it is contagious when the carrier is asymptomatic which is very unusual. I’m surprised that the State Department has issued a Level 4 Red Do Not Travel Warning, the same that is issued to countries like Iraq and Iran. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-51214864

In any case...Check your policy carefully (for anyone who thinks travel insurance will cover it). I can speak to Dive Assure covering this under “other events” for trip interruption and cancellation as follows:

9.2.1. Jury service, attendance solely as witness at a Court of Law of You or person with whom You had arranged to travel.
9.2.2. You or Your Traveling Companion’s principal place of residence or destination being rendered uninhabitable by fire, flood, burglary or other natural disaster within 10 days of departure;
9.2.3. Compulsory quarantine imposed in your place of residence that makes it impossible for you to travel, or a travel warning being issued by the United States Department of State and or the United Kingdom Foreign office within 30 days of your scheduled arrival.

Policy must have been purchased at least 30 days prior to travel warning being issued or quarantine imposed. Policy must have been purchased before health situation developed in the region or country of the booked journey that might give concern as to the safety and wellbeing of visitors.
Warnings must be specific in nature to the geographic proximity of the booked journey.
You must make a claim for refund from all service providers before you make a claim under this policy.
The Insurer has the final authority to review the circumstances and render a decision on coverage which will be deemed as final.

The seasonal US flu is more scary to me with 19 million Americans infected, over 180,000 hospitalized, and 10,000 deaths at the time of this writing.

A deadly virus is spreading from state to state and has infected 19 million Americans so far. It's influenza

But yes, keep watching as services related to your trip may be limited/ shut down (eg transport, lodging, dive operator, non-diving activities, etc.).
Although the data is lagging and I don't believe a thing China says, this new virus has a bunch of unknowns with a higher death rate so far. Should everyone panic? No. Should you avoid high risk areas and airports? Probably.

Wuhan Coronavirus Death Rate - Worldometer

Capture.JPG

I'll be flying through and spending a day in Taiwan at the end of next month on my way to Indonesia, so I too have been monitoring things closely but with the knowledge that the odds are extremely in my favor of being fine. Being informed is good, but currently I'm not at all concerned. Personally I'm more concerned about eating something that won't agree with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom