Asia trips and coronavirus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friend called DAN re another trip and they said no coverage for this. I'd be surprised if you could get any coverage at this point other than at a huge premium surcharge.

Early part of this thread talked about travel insurance. I have a trip planned to Raja Ampat at the end of next month, flying through Taipei on EVA Air and then Garuda. Currently we see no reason to change anything, but just in case anything changes it is probably best to have a backup plan. The eco resort is the part I'm most concerned by since it is the biggest expense and their cancellation policy basically if you cancel you don't get your money back, and no listed exception for something like this. I know DAN offers trip insurance, but not sure what the best options are. And I don't know if you can get them to cover just the hotel portion or if it has to be the whole trip.

I have coverage through Dive Assure and they will cover the need to cancel if there is an epidemic and/or if a government has restrictions on travel but you would need to buy 30 days before that is issued. If you bought today and they announced next week that no one flying through Taiwan can enter Indonesia, you would not be covered. You are almost just at the 30 day mark right now so it if they announced it any earlier than your actual departure date, it wouldn't work. There are some benefits like this to buying travel insurance early or having an annual plan. In any case, I like Dive Assure for travel insurance protection specific to dive travel more as I find it more encompassing than DAN travel insurance but DAN dive accident insurance and expertise is superior to that of Dive Assure. I've had friends that have had to claim dive accident/medical issues on both.

You can have your travel insurance cover any part of your trip. It doesn't have to be the entire thing. You buy coverage for the amount you need. You could buy just for the non-refundable or difficult to refund portions of your trip.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to you but would you consider changing the flights proactively in case it becomes an issue? It will be more expensive to completely lose out on the flights and/or not be able to go at all. It's the less expensive of the 2 scenarios....Hopefully Indonesia doesn't take notes from Philippines and prohibit entry to folks flying through Taiwan and HK as well. I am heading to Raja Ampat at the end of next month as well but I am flying through Singapore.

9.2.3.1. Policy must have been purchased at least 30 days prior to travel warning being issued or quarantine imposed. 9.2.3.2. Policy must have been purchased before health situation developed in the region or country of the booked journey that might give concern as to the safety and wellbeing of visitors. 9.2.3.3. Warnings must be specific in nature to the geographic proximity of the booked journey.

Thank you guys! And I would hope if something like that happened that the hotel would at least allow a rescheduling or something. *FINGERS CROSSED* Luckily currently Taiwan seems to be keeping it out, but that could obviously change in a day.

I've never had to cancel a trip in the past and don't normally do big fancy trips, so trip insurance is not something I'm used this. This whole trip was actually somewhat last minute with me booking around the new year, and then of course this all started.

Thank you guys! And I would hope if something like that happened that the hotel would at least allow a rescheduling or something. *FINGERS CROSSED* Luckily currently Taiwan seems to be keeping it out, but that could obviously change in a day.

I've never had to cancel a trip in the past and don't normally do big fancy trips, so trip insurance is not something I'm used this. This whole trip was actually somewhat last minute with me booking around the new year, and then of course this all started.

I would be very surprised if Indonesia started any restrictions between now and then....We will have to wait and see. Like you, I'm crossing my fingers! That is an idea...asking to see if you can reschedule but not get a refund if push came to shove and things hit the fan. 31 more days until I fly...must keep the good juju going.

Is this your first time to Raja? It's INCREDIBLE. It sounds like you're going to Misool Eco Resort, is that correct?

I would be very surprised if Indonesia started any restrictions between now and then....We will have to wait and see. Like you, I'm crossing my fingers! That is an idea...asking to see if you can reschedule but not get a refund if push came to shove and things hit the fan. 31 more days until I fly...must keep the good juju going.

Is this your first time to Raja? It's INCREDIBLE. It sounds like you're going to Misool Eco Resort, is that correct?
32 days for me

Actually going to Sorido Bay. Misool was booked up until 2021. Since my wife and I are wimps and needed air conditioning, we didn't have many options, but Sorido looks great.

Hi there, I also have a trip lined up for Raja end of March and getting a little nervous about this upcoming trip. Have contacted the boat to see if I can defer to next year. Also flying Eva into Taiwan then Jakarta then Sorong. Eva recently changed my flight dates which impacts my connecting flight. Good news, Eva will give me a full refund. Now waiting on the boat's response if I can postpone this trip...

I know the reality is that I have low probability of getting the virus. And then getting quarantined for 14 days when I get back (as no one would want me to come into the office) is also another factor on delaying the trip.

Hi there, I also have a trip lined up for Raja end of March and getting a little nervous about this upcoming trip. Have contacted the boat to see if I can defer to next year. Also flying Eva into Taiwan then Jakarta then Sorong. Eva recently changed my flight dates which impacts my connecting flight. Good news, Eva will give me a full refund. Now waiting on the boat's response if I can postpone this trip...

I know the reality is that I have low probability of getting the virus. And then getting quarantined for 14 days when I get back (as no one would want me to come into the office) is also another factor on delaying the trip.

I guess the question is how long you think you will want to defer the trip for if they allow you to do it and if it will actually blow up to something bigger later on than what it is now or at the end of March. I suspect it will get bigger and become more problematic but I also think it is here to stay in the long run like the cold and flu. Once the medical and scientific community understands and pinpoints its behavior and mutations a little bit better will it only feel somewhat more controlled but there are still a lot of unknowns in the long run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom