Asia Novice - I just don't know where to go!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blooo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all,
I've been lurking and reading but still simply can't make up my mind - normally figuring out where to go isn't a difficult decision for me (normally I don't have money & I'm just going where the work is though!) I've dived in some pretty cool places, even some of the world's best but for some reason Asia just doesn't feature (other than one amazing liveaboard trip to Komodo) so I wanted a bit of help....

I'm planning a trip late July/early August, probably 2-3 weeks using either Manila or Bali/Jakarta as my jumping off point, and probably won't be back in that part of the world for a long time so want to make the most of the chance.

I have longed to go to Palau/Yap & Kosrae for years but looking at it I just don't think I can afford it (or rather I simply can't justify the money), the Philippines are also on the list but I don't know anything about them really, also I suppose I could get to Sipadan or Thailand or...or...

Here's the thing, this will be my 3rd dive trip this year, so it's not a big celebration or anything momentous, so I'm not looking to blow all my savings. I'm a single traveller so normally like the liveaboard option for company but don't like the single supplements. I also have found resort diving good in a tailored type dive resort where everyone eats together etc What I don't like doing is staying in sterile hotels wandering around looking for restaurants to eat at night on my own.

So anyone got any good suggestions? I love ALL diving but I suppose if you gave me a list of what I like it would be mantas/lots of current & more mantas (that's why I have been to Komodo already)...I'm not a photographer and small critters only keep me interested for so long, I would rather wait in the blue on the off chance something big will swim past than keep my head in a rock for an hour. I would like at least to be able to do 3 dives a day either liveaboard or land, luxury accommodation isn't an issue, neither bothered other tours or anything else. It's all about the diving ....

Thanks, those prices seem more reasonable than some of the inquires I have already made.
I guess my question really is the extra it will cost me to do Palau rather than staying in the Philippines - is it worth it?

Not sure if those Palau package prices have been updated lately; but the Philippines diving will always be less expensive in comparison. Similar diving to Palau (drift, wall diving with shark, pelagic and big schooling fish action) can be had at Tubbataha Reefs in the Sulu sea (live aboard only); or go to Bohol/Panglao/Alona Beach and dive nearby reef walls of Balicasag Island.

Philippines is surely your answer. Very well priced. Lots of variety - WWII Wrecks in Coron, unique Thresher Shark encounters (and Mantas and Devil Rays) in Malapascua, macro in all locations. Apo Reef, Monad, Kalanggaman for walls. Apo Island and Balicassag for turtles, hard corals and more walls.

The Philippines is also a very hospitable country so the solo traveller never feels alone. I came as s a solo traveller and never left. You can have all the night life you can handle in Manila / PG. Or still have quieter places with nice bars and restaurants like Malapascua and Alona.

I recommend not trying too much in The Philippines. For 2 to 3 weeks maybe base yourself in The Visayan region and concentrate on Malapascua, Balicassag and maybe Apo Island / Dauin.

Not sure if those Palau package prices have been updated lately; but the Philippines diving will always be less expensive in comparison. Similar diving to Palau (drift, wall diving with shark, pelagic and big schooling fish action) can be had at Tubbataha Reefs in the Sulu sea (live aboard only); or go to Bohol/Panglao/Alona Beach and dive nearby reef walls of Balicasag Island.
Tubbataha would probably be the best fit for his likes, but no liveaboards visit the area during July/August. It's definitely a good place to put on the agenda for next year, though!

Fly to Cebu instead of Manila.
Malapascua + Bohol

Sipadan is another option but you have to check with the operator for the "diving pass" to dive the island!! There is a huge demand from so many dive operators.

Tubbataha is very good but only available between mid March to mid June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom