Aruba vs. Bonaire to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your post should read..."unless you are a wreck diver."

It is a matter of taste. But Aruba is all too often casually dismissed as a wreck diving island, when the reef diving, especially at the South-Eastern tip of the island (San Nicolas area), is very good (but admittedly a bit advanced). Those who’ve been diving in this area, rate the diving in Aruba highly.

I've heard a number of times the better diving on Aruba is exactly where none of the ops take people. Is there any op that reliably does these better sites?

It is a matter of taste. But Aruba is all too often casually dismissed as a wreck diving island, when the reef diving, especially at the South-Eastern tip of the island (San Nicolas area), is very good (but admittedly a bit advanced). Those who’ve been diving in this area, rate the diving in Aruba highly.

That small part of my post was aimed jokingly at a member who has the word "wreck" in his name. Sorry if I seemed to slander Aruba. Not my intention of course.:wink:

Aruba is a wonderful place with fantastic diving but realistically is ranks third when comparing just diving only in the ABC's and frequently doesn't even make it into the top ten in the Caribbean. Nothing personal, cuz I would much rather be there on vacation than here in NYC.:D

I've heard a number of times the better diving on Aruba is exactly where none of the ops take people. Is there any op that reliably does these better sites?

Damselfish,

Yes, Jads located at Baby Beach, specializes in the dive sites in the San Nicolas area. Jads comes highly recommended.

That small part of my post was aimed jokingly at a member who has the word "wreck" in his name. Sorry if I seemed to slander Aruba. Not my intention of course.:wink:

Aruba is a wonderful place with fantastic diving but realistically is ranks third when comparing just diving only in the ABC's and frequently doesn't even make it into the top ten in the Caribbean. Nothing personal, cuz I would much rather be there on vacation than here in NYC.:D

There’s no need for any apology Scubadobadoo. You were just voicing your honest opinion, which is what this board is for.

Conventional wisdom is that diving in Aruba does not come close to diving in Bonaire and Curacao. But the ones saying this, usually have not been diving in Aruba and if they have been, they have not been diving in the right area’s. Like I‘ve said many times before on this board, the best diving in Aruba is near the San Nicolas area and NOT near the hotel area. Diving in Aruba should be judged based on the best she has to offer, and not based on the conveniently located mediocre dive sites, that the big dive operations take you to. Anyone who’s done dives at Cabes Reef, Baby Beach, Indian Head or Serito, will tell you that diving in Aruba rocks. However, these sites, with the exception of Indian Head, are not for beginners.

what about them makes them not for beginners? current, depth, or...?

I think your post should read..."unless you are a wreck diver." I don't find it boring at all but then again I would rather look at life and have little interest in wrecks although I do enjoy them. I'm assuming you disagree given your name. OntWRECKdiver.:wink:

But you do have a point. Want wreck and reefs? Bonaire only has one wreck (others but they don't count) and it's just okay IMHO. However, boring is not a word I would use to describe Bonaire diving.

It all depends on your interests. Both wrecks and reefs have a "story" if you stop long enough to look at them the right way.

You are right, my primary interest is wreck diving but I was also disappointed with the amount of large marine life on Bonaire. There was a lot of small stuff but not a lot of the bigger stuff except for the Tarpon on the Hilma Hooker. I also think with all the hype, I was expecting way too much before I got there.

Ont...

If you ever want to do so interesting wreck diving on Bonaire it can be done. You need to contact Walt at Rek Tek on Bonaire. He knows all the good ones. I will say nothing else as to incriminate myself....there are challenging wrecks on Bonaire, you just need to know who to talk to and who knows the ropes....

Let me know if I can help.

Liz

There’s no need for any apology Scubadobadoo. You were just voicing your honest opinion, which is what this board is for.

Conventional wisdom is that diving in Aruba does not come close to diving in Bonaire and Curacao. But the ones saying this, usually have not been diving in Aruba and if they have been, they have not been diving in the right area’s. Like I‘ve said many times before on this board, the best diving in Aruba is near the San Nicolas area and NOT near the hotel area. Diving in Aruba should be judged based on the best she has to offer, and not based on the conveniently located mediocre dive sites, that the big dive operations take you to. Anyone who’s done dives at Cabes Reef, Baby Beach, Indian Head or Serito, will tell you that diving in Aruba rocks. However, these sites, with the exception of Indian Head, are not for beginners.

Sounds good to me! Where do I sign up?:D

I will also add that I favor the convenience and flexibility shore diving offers so of course I will always vote for Bonaire just because of that reason.

You are right, my primary interest is wreck diving but I was also disappointed with the amount of large marine life on Bonaire. There was a lot of small stuff but not a lot of the bigger stuff except for the Tarpon on the Hilma Hooker. I also think with all the hype, I was expecting way too much before I got there.

You are right too. Bonaire certainly doesn't equal pelagic encounters. I could see how that might effect one's opinion if they expect one thing and get another.

Funny though, the last time I was there a 6ft hammer head was cruising the reefs all week. Seriously, no joke. Pretty rare though.

Again, I think those like me who live to shore diving frequently paint Bonaire as heaven but fail to remind people that it's more of a relaxed version of heaven and not a thrill ride kinda heaven that some may prefer. No drift dives, not much current at all really, pelagics rarely, the underwater topography doesn't really vary much, the island itself is somewhat stark compared to other places, etc...

BUT if you like reliable, flexible, relaxed, shallow salt water pool dives then Bonaire is for you. :wink: I get enough of the insane diving up here in the NE and frankly I am almost over it.:sigh_2::sigh_2:

Back
Top Bottom