Aruba shallow dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to Aruba in a few weeks and would like some recommendations for dive operators and sites. We will need to rent equipment. We're interested in shallow, easy dives - less than 50 feet. Thanks for your help!

The dive sites at the Southern Coast of Aruba are all slopes that go from about 40 feet (some places shallower) to 100+ feet. So I am sure you'll have a nice time at any of these sites, as you can choose to stay shallow. Other shallow dives are the Pedernalis (which is not a very good dive IMHO) at about 20 to 25 feet and the Antilla (a huge WWII wreck), which is at about 50/60 feet at the deepest part.

As for dive operators, I recommend Jads at Baby Beach. They are safe, give great service and their rental equipment always seems to be new.

Last edited:
I just returned from Aruba on the 21st. I dove with DiveVersity. They have a shop next to the Marriott Surf Club and Moomba's. Great group of guys. It was my first time in Aruba. The first dive I did was at 45' wreck dive it was a 2 minute ride from the pier near the Marriott. I think it was called the Peter Nash. Saw eels and turtle as well as the whats left of the wreck itself a big steel box that you can dive into. top and one side are open. Beautiful school of fish were hugging one of the walls. The other two dives were much deeper. Just tell them your concerns or interests they were exceptionally accomidating.

Just out of curiosity, what is the issue with the depth limit at 50'? Junior scuba diver with you?

I'm going to Aruba in a few weeks and would like some recommendations for dive operators and sites. We will need to rent equipment. We're interested in shallow, easy dives - less than 50 feet. Thanks for your help!
If you're interested in shallow, easy dives, you should probably stay with the west coast dive sites. Usually, the surface does not have big waves, the dives are shallower, and usually, there is not much current at the bottom.

The south coast dives could have stronger current and larger waves. Also, the dive sites are deeper. The only way you could stay at a shallower depth would be on the reef dives. On the south coast wreck dives, you need to go below 60 feet to get to the wrecks.

Some good west coast dive sites are Malmok (45 ft) , Pedernales (25 ft), & Antilla (40-55 ft). Try Unique Sports of Aruba. They are located between the Radisson and Riu hotels. The staff is very friendly and the dive sites are very close to their shop. Nice short boat rides.

Ken

+1 for the Antilla :D

My wife and I dove the Antilla and the Pedernales about 2 years ago. The Antilla was a beautiful dive, everything I ever imaged a wreck could be! While I enjoyed the dive on the Pedernales, the Antilla was definitely the highlight of the trip.

Some good west coast dive sites are Malmok (45 ft) , Pedernales (25 ft), & Antilla (40-55 ft). Try Unique Sports of Aruba. They are located between the Radisson and Riu hotels. The staff is very friendly and the dive sites are very close to their shop. Nice short boat rides.

The Antilla makes for an awesome dive, but "Malmok Reef" and the "Pedernalis", are totally forgetable. It is these crappy dive sites, favored by the dive operators in the hotel area apparently because these dive sites are conveniently close to the hotel area, that gives diving in Aruba a bad name.

I agree that the Jane Sea wreck and the Airplanes on the South Coast are deeper than 50 feet and make for a difficult dive when there is a current, but all the other reef dives at the South Coast are way better than Malmok Reef and Pedernalis and allow you to stay at 50 feet or shallower if the diver chooses so (all these reefs are on slopes). When there is current at the South Coast, the reef dives become even easier (in total contrast to the wreck dives that become more difficult when there is a current), as this allows you to just effortlessly drift along the reef (over multiple dive sites during a single dive). When you surface the dive boat will be right there to pick you up as it has followed you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom