Artificial wrecks - so what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every ship has a bit of history under its belt before it's sunk. For me, though I'd rather dive a wreck that has not been intentionally sunk, it's still interesting to peruse that piece of history as it sits on the bottom. It's also fun to periodically dive these wrecks to see how they've changed over the years (marine growth, structural deterioration).

Hey, if I'm underwater, getting to see things, it's all good!

I love diving wrecks of all types, historic or man-made. There is a certain feeling of respect and awe knowing that lives were lost when a ship went to the bottom, especially when one sees human bones lying inside. But I don't see how this makes the wreck any more enjoyable of a dive than a purposely sunk vessel. Besides, the man-made wrecks are much safer penetrations, since many hazards have been removed to make them easier to penetrate.
For me, the corals and other life that surround the wreck are what makes it special, along with the sense of flying that comes with going through structures at odd angles. This can be found on either type of wreck.

Give me a screamer over a fake wreck any day! Screamers are so called because of the actions of those on board as it goes down! :D

NetDoc:
Give me a screamer over a fake wreck any day! Screamers are so called because of the actions of those on board as it goes down! :D

Bet you like Chainsaw Massacre flicks too..eh? :D

I'll dive any wreck but real wrecks, those which have not been purposely placed, are by far my favorite. They add a certain deminsion because you may find something of interest, historical value, a nice conversation piece for the mantle or even something worth some bucks. You don't have to worry about finding anything in an artificial reef wreck.

As many have said, they all do have history behind them regaradless. But there is much more for the mind to ponder while diving real wrecks. I think about the last moments of the crew and her passengers, the cargo carried and the story behind the sinking.

NetDoc:

Personally, I perfer not to think of them in that context.
Going down in a vehicle, be it sea going or air borne, is not a fun place to be.

But I understand the correlation.

the K

Edited to show post responding too:

Actually, no. I don't like slasher flicks. However, war flicks and documentaries FASCINATE me. Band of Brothers is way cool!

Just checking.

I went through a war flick phase too. But then reality took over. Now, only see the stuff when part of a professional training film. Even then don't like it; but it is necessary.

If they could put the smell in them, I'd be willing to be you wouldn't like them anymore! :l:

the K

The Kraken:
If they could put the smell in them, I'd be willing to be you wouldn't like them anymore!

the K

I would bet you would be right.

Back
Top Bottom