Artificial Reef - Is anyone interested?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elkfriend

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Folks,

I have access to a good sized barge on the west coast, it was used for bulk commodities for many years. However, it is at a point where repair is economically difficult, so rather than selling it for scrap, I would love to explore turning it into an artificial reef!

Current location is in the Vancouver, BC area. I would be willing to donate it to a local dive club or "artificial reef organization", if there is such a thing - in return for some "promotional mileage" for my company and a tax receipt.

Ideally, a local dive club would take the task on to strip/clean it, figure out what paperwork needs to happen, get all the right permits to sink it and find the right site.

I would even have it towed to the clean-up location and then later to the "sink" location.

The barge would make a great wreck, it has big bulk compartments that divers can enter.

BUT-it all starts out with someone willing to take this project on.

Send me a PM if you are interested. The more legit the organization/dive club, the easier it will be to make this work.

Thanks
Chris

What's the size?

Its about 130 ft long, about 40 ft wide and about 30 ft high, made out of steel...

Any help appreciated!

Cheers
Chris

OK, contacted ARSBC, thank you for the tip. The barge is not as sexy as a destroyer, but would make a fine reef, plus its free...

OK, contacted ARSBC, thank you for the tip. The barge is not as sexy as a destroyer, but would make a fine reef, plus its free...

Except for the untold amount of money/time necessary to clean it up, secure paperwork, obtain permission, overcome the protestations of whomever is opposed, and ultimately put 'er on the bottom.

Other than those few details to be worked out... it's free!

:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom