Artificial Reef Info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phazeshyft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any information about the Artificial Reef Programs plans to sink a carrier either in Texas or Florida. i remember there was a thread about it a while back but havent heard any updates. i looked over the Texas Parks and Wildlife website too where i had read a little info on it, but i cannot find ANYTHING about it anywhere now. I know the Vandenburg is slated for reefing as you can read in the latest Rodales' SCUBA Diving magazine or on www.bigshipwrecks.com

Also i had no idea there were so many wrecks off the texas coast. you can look these up at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/reef/artreef.htm

i want to dive a few of these soon.

--Phazeshyft

Last time I knew it was going to Florida, but it was still up in the air. There is literally a whole fleet of ships just asking to be sank, and if I remember right the goverment will pretty much give them away, the only problem is raising the funds to make one habitat friendly.

run a local search on the "Oriskany." That's the name of the carrier in question. The final decision on who gets it will be decided in January by MARAD.

I've heard through the grapevine (surprisingly not through the SCUBA community yet from a reliable source involved in artificial reef programs here in TX) that Corpus already has the money to do the project and can come in under budget while Pensecola has the same amount of money available but cannot get the project under the budget (there's this little matter of towing an aircraft carrier that far and the bills involved.) Basically I'm getting the feeling that Corpus is really giving Pensecola a run for their money and it may very well be that they get it if the opposition can't get the funds lined out...

Take this info for what you will, as I said it was a reliable source but I haven't been able to get independant confirmation on it - seems there is very little info out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom