Article: THE FIVE WAYPOINTS AND SIMPLE ASCENT BEHAVIOR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve-

Interesting read. I LOL's when I saw this, as I read your book over Christmas *, but hadn't yet bothered with the last chapter - I don't ever expect to do any deco diving. I actually read it just last night. Timing, as they say, is everything. :)

* Highly recommend. Even as a new diver, not a tech diver, I got a lot out of it. My son is reading it now, and when he is done I will be giving it a re-read before getting back in the water this spring. Godd job!

-click on Thread View link below and then scroll down to my post for pdf attachments.....
Thank you.
I actually took the RD class some time ago and I had already Baker's article on Deep Stops .... basically he is saying "use Gradient Factors" ..... and we do have GF implemented in divePAL :wink:

Still, I can't find the magic wand .... but I have a feeling I am getting closer :D

In re-reading Baker's article this passage stood out:

Within the context of the dissolved gas model, the deepest possible decompression stop for a given profile can be defined as the next standard stop depth above the point where the gas loading for the leading compartment crosses the ambient pressure line.

But, where is this magic deep stop?
And, is GF really the best way to find it?

Yesterday my team gave me a nice addition to divePAL that I think will come handy in my quest.

My first test was to analyze a reference dive with ZH-L16C and GF 100/100 and .... surprise .... surprise .... the resulting graph is a clear visual demonstration that deeper stops are a good idea.
Why? Just look at the image below.
At my first stop (12m) there is a wopping 2.81atm overpressure gradient in C2 (that is still sitting at 40.1m). That seems a lot to me.
The other interesting factor in this graph is the almost artistical efficiency of the ZH-L16C algorithm; do you see how the leading compartments change in progression as the diver is ascending?

deep_stops1.jpg

So, ascending too shallow it seems to be not a good idea.
Where do we stop then?
Are the stops provided by GF the best one? Let's find out.

In the next test I will analyze the same reference dive with GF 15/85.

I will be back.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Steve,

Great article, but incredibly conservative. I have made in excess of 15,000 dives now. Most of those dives were made with a rigorously controlled ascent rate of 60 fpm and no "safety" stop, with no ill effects. All of your concepts aid in understanding what is going on, but I really question the need for either slowing one's ascent rate to 10 fpm or making a "safety stop." The only change that I made (until the new revision of the Navy tables) was being an early adopter of deep stops and faster (120 fpm) ascents to my deep stop.

BTW: the initial purpose of "safety stops," as explained to me by Pilmanis, was to slow recreational divers down (according to Egstrom, they were ascending in pre-computer/ascent meter days at 100 to 150 fpm) and to assure that they did the last ten feet with a higher degree of control, instead of accelerating through those last few feet and popping to the surface.

Thanks a bunch... no argument at all about the level of conservatism... although I must admit that as time passes it becomes more and more obvious to me that it's a good idea to modify my personal dive agenda.

Also concur on the original purpose of safety stops, but forgive me for injecting a little poetic license... cheating a little but the intent behind it is much the same. Recently watched a boat-load of divers doing bounce dives to about 130 and their average ascent rate was far from optimal... not saying they are typical but I have learned to tune-out the distant sound of PDC ascent alarms!

Stay well.

Thank you.
I actually took the RD class some time ago and I had already Baker's article on Deep Stops .... basically he is saying "use Gradient Factors" ..... and we do have GF implemented in divePAL :wink:

Still, I can't find the magic wand .... but I have a feeling I am getting closer :D

In re-reading Baker's article this passage stood out:

Within the context of the dissolved gas model, the deepest possible decompression stop for a given profile can be defined as the next standard stop depth above the point where the gas loading for the leading compartment crosses the ambient pressure line.

But, where is this magic deep stop?
And, is GF really the best way to find it?

Yesterday my team gave me a nice addition to divePAL that I think will come handy in my quest.

My first test was to analyze a reference dive with ZH-L16C and GF 100/100 and .... surprise .... surprise .... the resulting graph is a clear visual demonstration that deeper stops are a good idea.
Why? Just look at the image below.
At my first stop (12m) there is a wopping 2.81atm overpressure gradient in C2 (that is still sitting at 40.1m). That seems a lot to me.
The other interesting factor in this graph is the almost artistical efficiency of the ZH-L16C algorithm; do you see how the leading compartments change in progression as the diver is ascending?

So, ascending too shallow it seems to be not a good idea.
Where do we stop then?
Are the stops provided by GF the best one? Let's find out.

In the next test I will analyze the same reference dive with GF 15/85.

I will be back.

Alberto (aka eDiver)
Here's your theoretical basis for a complete and comprehensive dissolved & free phase bubble mechanics model: an early 1990 article by Bruce Weinke on the RGBM (http://www.divetable.de/skripte/rgbm_params.pdf).

Actually, the applied empirical & practical methods described here and elsewhere (Ratio Deco) are adequate, easier to understand and implement. . .

The only problem with articles like this is not enough sport divers think they are relevant! Great article and very easy to digest.

Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom