Article: The Awe of Scuba Therapy for Wounded Veterans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your service and for helping with the Wounded Warrior program.
As a disabled veteran with one of the "invisible" handicaps as well as a neck injury. I'd like to remind others that not all of our veterans have easily recognizable wounds. Traumatic Brain Injury and PTSD are the two most common disabilities. These injuries terribly disabling and yet you will not usually see sombody who appears disabled. You will probably see young, healthy looking individual.
Just keep in mind that not all wounded veterans look wounded. I went to a lecture recently and the young woman who was speaking commented on how hurt she often was when people would thank her husband (an amputee) for his service and assume that she had never served, although she was also severely disabled from TBI and PTSD.
Anyway, I believe the Wounded Warrior program is an amazing program. I've seen some talk about the VA doing studies with PTSD and SCUBA. I hope that becomes a reality.

Last edited:
I was on the dock that day and got to ask a few of these divers about their dives. Awesome, beautiful, fun, warm (the fella from the UK)! To talk about the underwater water world just like any diver coming off the dive boats that morning is a normalizing experience. Being underwater is a great equalizer. Thanks for such a nice article, Charlie.

Before my PTSD was fully treated by the VA, I found scuba to be my best therapy. No fears of bad guys getting me underwater. Just peace and pure focus on the moment.

This is an inspiring story! and a great photo. We have a diving center in Italy where the original Christ of the Abyss is submerged - in the bay of San Fruttuoso in the Protected Marine Park of Portofino, so its wonderful to see such a great shot at the sister statue in Florida. Its a great initiative - hats off and admiration to all !

I am looking to start a career in scuba and very interested in any information that might be offered regarding how to get involved in the disabled vet scoba program. I am from Richmond, Va. and look to receive my Open Water Cert. by the spring. I attended the wheelchair games this fall, here in Richmond, and was very inspired by the abilities of the athletes. I wanted to know how I might start a program in this area. Thanks to all who might be able to provide any info.

I am looking to start a career in scuba and very interested in any information that might be offered regarding how to get involved in the disabled vet scoba program. I am from Richmond, Va. and look to receive my Open Water Cert. by the spring. I attended the wheelchair games this fall, here in Richmond, and was very inspired by the abilities of the athletes. I wanted to know how I might start a program in this area. Thanks to all who might be able to provide any info.

I may be able to help you get involved. Difficult to do as a primary vocation, but very rewarding and a great portal into the scuba industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom