Article: The Anatomy of an Effective Wreck Diving Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very good article! I see people penetrate wrecks/caverns without training. Some people just wont listen to reason.

Very clear and well written with excellent paoints. I've never understood the rational of giving out a Wreck Diver Cert to someone who has only swam around the outside of a wreck.

I am perfectly happy to swim around outside but am aware of the fact the exterior holds its own (potential) hazards such as nets, line, rope.

Andy, I always enjoy your posts and this was no exception. Thanks.

You talk about the difference between caves and wrecks. I did an advanced wreck course in the great lakes before I saw my first cavern. My experience was that technical wreck penetration involves tighter spaces, narrower doors, more closely packed obstacles than your training caves like Peacock. Hence I kicked up more silt on one wreck training dive than all of my Intro Cave dives combined. I also find that makes cave line placement a lot easier. Long and short of it, the environments and hazards can be more different than many realize. Wrecks are unlikely to offer 1000 ft penetrations, but they will offer more of an obstacle course, particularly in the dark.

Yesterday, my LDS was running a recreational wreck course. Students did dives one and two. For me this was an opportunity to book a boat trip with guaranteed wrecks. Sad, but after the completion of the day's diving two students asked me why I use double tanks, and why I have a tank labelled Oxygen that I use. They also had what I would call yoyo buoyancy skills. They are doing penetration dives today and I am certain that there is silt and algae in their future. I bring this up because I still think they benefitted from the course. The two students themselves brought up on the boat afterwards that they now know why penetration isn't for them. To me that is a win for the course.

Thanks for the great article. I am currently getting ready to take wreck class in the Keys, and the info was helpful in choosing an instructor and knowing what I should expect out of the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom