Article: Shearwater Announces Petrel Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It says it is 42% smaller by volume. But what are the actual dimensions?!? I am very interested but love love love my X1 for its size.

---------- Post Merged at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Here it is.

http://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Petrel_vs_Predator.pdf

I like the size reduction of the computer, the Predator is a big computer. Besides the side, the biggest imporvement is the amount of memory, going from 20 hours of dives to 1000 hours! I have seen people doing 20 hours of bottom time in a week in Bonaire. I ran into the 20 hour limit on a two week trip to Truk and Palau. Lost about half of my dives from the first week. Luckily I have a second computer that kept longer history.

I also like the addition of the guage mode and the fact you can use a normal AA battery. I keep a spare battery in my save a dive kit, but if that was missing or ruined, being able to use a normal AA is awesome.

What's the point of having a gauge mode? Why not just plug in whatever GF/ conservatism you want and dive it that way. What am I missing here?

The one major difference between OLED and LED is that OLED, from extreme angles will give you a much more defined picture which I dont believe will matter for a dive computer. I do believe that the that the LED is better when it comes to glare, not that that matters much either. I should have mine by the end of next week so I am anxious to see first hand the difference in size.

The one major difference between OLED and LED is that OLED, from extreme angles will give you a much more defined picture which I dont believe will matter for a dive computer. I do believe that the that the LED is better when it comes to glare, not that that matters much either. I should have mine by the end of next week so I am anxious to see first hand the difference in size.

Actually I don't think that the Predator OLED gives a great view at angles. You begin to lose the screen starting a abou 60 degrees. I would say that Liquivision does a better job with that (I own a Xen for a back up timing device). That said it's never been an issue. Moving your arm to a lesser angle is never really a problem, and I can't afford to keep batteries in the damn Xen. They have offered a battery tray upgrade for earlier adopters, but the tray is $99, and chargeable batteries are $90. Really not offering to resolve the primary issue with the unit....

When the Petrel comes out I'll likely sell the Xen and get a Petrel as a Backup device.

Is the stopwatch function only available in gauge mode or is it also available in deco mode?

Back
Top Bottom