Article: Rescue Training Revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally agree. The dive shops around here push the OW refresher classes but make no attempt to offer a Rescue refresher. I did renew my EFR/CPR/AED/O2 recently but I do need to refresh rescue. Thanks for bringing attention to this.

Great article. Great initiative, too, pushing for refresher rescue courses. Many skills acquired in rescue class are never practiced by the diver again once the course is over, which means these skills have a large chance of not being performed adequately in a real life situation. I know I would like to take a rescue refresher in the near future.

Interesting account of the refresher. With the rising popularity of rebreathers and sidemount, I think there probably OUGHT to be material about them in the class, just as I think all classes in the PNW ought to include managing the diver in doubles and with a Hog rig.

"Rescue Course that includes a newer diver who immediately adopted recreational side-mount diving after her open-water certification." :homealone::wink: Inside joke.

"Rescue Course that includes a newer diver who immediately adopted recreational side-mount diving after her open-water certification."

I'm on the fence with this as I know a group of new divers who did this because they knew they wanted to be cave divers from day one and found an instructor to set them up.

On one hand it seems a little crazy but on the other hand, why make them put the time in a single tank just to sell and buy all over?

For the most part they are all progressing nicely.

Very interesting and thought provoking. I've got a rescue class coming up and will certainly add in some information about side-mount with what I already mention regarding bp/w and twin tank rigs.

I am currently underway with a PADI rescue course as a refresh after 15 years, and I am having some issues, as i believe the instructor is not 100% in control. Please note he is private and uses 'whatever help' that is avaliable. My first "bad scenario" panic diver on surface was one that decided that us looping the loop 6 times, while helping me lose my mask and regs was fun. My last "bad scenario" was a group of 5 other divers with me being given a brand-spanking new OWD with bad buoyancy control, needless to say while I was trying to help the OWD he unleashed the next enthusiatic diver (AOWD <50dives) to help me out. So I get attacked from behind, first reg gone, next he grabs my emergency reg away and finally I stick my pony reg only for that to be taken, all the while he hangs on my tank not giving me a chance to shake him off. At 7 meters, I take route of emergency accent... Because of other 'unplanned' incidents that happened during the dive, the teacher made the comment, he'd never seen such chaos underwater. My problem is I felt, such a help went beyond a paniked diver to someone who is really trying to cause me harm, my natural instinct goes from 'help' to 'self-help', basically I felt my brain cross the line of this is now dangerous for me.

Do I sound like I am over-reacting, because when I did such exercises 15 years ago with BSAC, I felt they were hard but fair...

Just interested for some other opinion..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom