Article: Letting Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I have posted a number of my own dives that didn't go smoothly here on ScubaBoard. Sometimes, I have taken a great deal of heat for what I wrote -- I have ALWAYS learned something. Even if the people who write criticisms don't understand all the parameters of the dive described, the exercise of reporting the factors that weren't understood is useful. Anyone reading a thread like this is going to read the original post and make some assessments and decisions, and then read the responses and evaluate their own conclusions in the light of the comments from others.

That's what is so useful and constructive about putting dives like this out for scrutiny. I applaud Megan for doing it. I liked her metaphors in the original article, which do resonate with me about life in general. But the part about the dive, and how the procedures and decisions and communication were managed, is what's relevant to a lot of us on SB, and discussion, as long as it is polite, is far more valuable than simple reporting.

...still think the only one who can say anything about her dive is her buddy or her instructor.

Keep on posting. Details aside, it's refreshing for us less-experienced divers to read about called dives.

I leave ScubaBoard for a few years because I got tired of the handful of "experts" that pick everyone stories and dives apart...and they were not even there. Somethings will never change except the number of cert. cards they have in their wallets.

A very experienced diver opened up and put something out there that was significant to her...and to meant something to some of us that read it. It was a positive story in a time when every thing it seems is negative.
Are you ever going to dive with her or have you? If not, your points are absolutely of no use. Leave the woman alone.

O

Sadly it was not a positive story other than the fact she survived to tell it. The attempt to add drama and comparisons to daily life experiences appeared to do no more than draw people in. Save the drama for soap operas on day time TV. I found it very disturbing.

I didn't find anything in this story worth flaming. I would think that should tell you something.....

I didn't care for the accidental tech diver storyline but I only bother fighting cronyism. Nepotism is best left untouched.

Which brings it back to the story at hand. Sometimes you just have to get positive, catch your breath and relax knowing that you can't fight it. It's safer that way.

Great Story, and Good Advice. Letting go :) there will always be people whom have some nasty comment to say. sometimes i wise one could post an article here and not have it open for comments :) thanks again for the nice Blog.

p.s. since she was diving solo even her buddy and instructor have nothing to say ;-)

Great Story, and Good Advice. Letting go :) there will always be people whom have some nasty comment to say. sometimes i wise one could post an article here and not have it open for comments :) thanks again for the nice Blog.

p.s. since she was diving solo even her buddy and instructor have nothing to say ;-)

Your right jonah....always a negative gang of bystanders with the nasty comment. They would suck the light out of room if they could. I'm glad I don't dive with them.
And yeah you hit the point I made before...only one who can judge is her buddy and her instructor. She took care of both of those positions herself.

Megan and Howard,

Thank you for your original post, which was well written and applied to more than just diving. Also, thank you for your succinct and informative attempts at clarifying the dive and your actions to those who were questioning them. Some people are unwilling to listen and there's nothing anyone can do about that, but them. I found no fault in the dive, and thought all decisions were well made admit stress, fatigue as well as other factors. The criticism of "diving ego" was spot on, who woulda guessed that "internet diving ego" would also deserve criticism. The dive wasn't within your limits that day, you made the right decision thumbing the dive when you realized you were fatigued and overworked.

KEEP UP THE POSTS/BLOGS!

Through shared experiences we all can become better divers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom