Article: High Dynamic Range Plug in for GoPro Cams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$49.00 ????

Nope

This review, like all the software or hardware reviews I write for the Apple based websites was an objective review of the plug in itself and not a comparative article to any other plug in or sets of plug ins. There is a big difference between the tutorial 'how to' articles I write and reviews. A review just focuses on the specific product itself. Since the graphics are screen grabs I make before I sent the text and graphics to the publisher to put the whole thing together, I often must exaggerate some of the settings so that differences between the original and post production shots are more clearly seen and delineated. I even state that under one of the post graphics in this review re: the whale shark shot. When I wrote the video section for the Asian Diver magazine for several years, I had to push up the parameters for the graphics there as well. I write primarily for the Final Cut Pro based Kenneth Stone site and then the articles are republished on the Los Angeles Creative Pro User Group (formerly lafcpug) site and, when appropriate, wetpixel and here, and though I have also been sponsored by Adobe for many years and reviewed their software and written tutorials for their software, I admit to being a completely Apple based hardware user and am completely PC illiterate. Yes, HDR for GoPro is only for Mac users and, yes, it is $49.00 and, in my view, an excellent and simple to use plug in that does more than a simple sharpening plug in. It will work with or without ProTune turned on but I have not tried it with any 3D footage, but if applied correctly I see no reason why it wouldn't work with 3D...I just have not tried it that way.
After writing and having published over 250 articles, tutorials and reviews since 2002 I have been fortunate to have been able to receive hundreds, if not thousands, of plug ins, editing applications and hardware from a very diverse number of companies from around the world. Some are very expensive to the buyer and others, like the CrumplePop sets of plug ins are not. Thankfully, no matter who sends me product to review, I am not under any obligation to promote or say anything either positive or negative about any products so that my reviews are completely honest and unbiased user reviews. Look at any review in most any magazine and all you get is a bunch of company hyperbole. The magazine sells advertising to these companies and is loath to be critical about anything. Fortunately, I am not and have often, in my articles, brought some companies and their products to task for certain issues.
It is up to the consumer to read with an open mind and check things out for themselves which is why many software companies provide downloadable product/software demos. I am thinking of upgrading my theater monitor and with the CES show coming up, believe me I am doing some heavy research before I buy anything.
I hope this long winded reply is of some help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom