Article: Diving with Stevie Wonder (My Thoughts on Narcosis)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to go on record here as someone whose dive buddy was severely narced at 25m(82'), after an exhausting swim against current to get to the reef, and about 25 minutes into the dive(maxdepth 30m/100'). She lost her ability to focus her eyes, couldn't read her dive computer, and was physically weak. As we were aborting the dive, me as her buddy had to control her rate of ascent, and she appeared groggy/sedated, her arm was completely limp in my roman handshake, she was largely unresponsive between the time of the ascend signal being given, until sometime during the safety/deco stop(her computer showed deco while neither mine nor the DMs did, with the same profile). She didn't fully recover until about half an hour after the dive.

To highlight just how strong the current was: at the reef, with a bit of protection from the current, it was barely possible to swim against it, with the help of handholds. After letting go of the reef, I was quickly accellerated to speeds where kicking only slowed me down, by an insignificant degree, I'm thinking something like at least 20kmh/32mph. And for 20-30 seconds, the downward current was strong enough that I had to fully inflate my BCD to keep from being pulled down(just to stay level). The DM was with my buddy at the time of abort, I was the first to let go, and I was separated from them by 30 meters within a 2-3 seconds. We managed to regroup, and during the ascent I noticed she wasn't coming up with us, and that's when I descended back to her depth and had to control her ascent from that point.

This was our first dive that day.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2013 at 01:59 PM ----------

On a sidenote: I'm a natural diaphragmatic breather, I don't chest breath even above water, though I breath shallower(IE: I just breath deeper/slower underwater).

Interesting. I found myself accumulating CO2 a few times, different depths, but rarely deeper than 130'. I feel I piercing headache, I feel cold and weak and need to leave the water. Invariably, as soon as I step on the boat, I throw up and feel better.

I have learned how to prevent this CO2 buildup by resting and breathing better, but never had any apparent impact on narcosis.

Nice article,
Luca

http://backpackandsunnies.blogspot.com

Breathing is accomplished by a mixture of intercostal muscle activity and diaphragmatic contraction.

To tell you truth, I was just picking apart what you stated. You can assist breath using intercostal and accessory muscles but not without diaphragmatic contractions. The diaphragm in innervated by C3-C5. And OBTW...I did enjoy the article and look up to John Chatterton. I would give alot to dive with him...and you as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom