Article About the Reef Restoration Project and Plans for the Cruise Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
'Magic' act a class act: Time to take a bow :: Cayman Compass

Organizers of the “Magic Reef Restoration Project” have announced that their efforts to salvage a George Town harbor reef, which was seriously damaged in late August 2014 by a cruise ship anchor, will conclude around the end of this year.

We’ll take this opportunity to give a pat on the back to this group and its volunteers, mainly comprising members of the Cayman Islands dive community, for the efforts and sacrifices they have been making over these past months. We’d also like to acknowledge the significant financial contributions from the Carnival Cruise company, which made a voluntary pledge of $100,000 to aid in the recovery effort.

Although the offending anchor belonged to the Carnival Magic cruise ship (which has subsequently become eponymous with the damaged reef), it appears that neither Carnival nor the ship captain bears responsibility for the destruction that occurred.

As our readers will recall, on Aug. 27 — a day of rough winds — the Magic cruise ship was guided by a Bodden Shipping Agency pilot boat to an area 650 feet outside the designated public port anchorage, where it dropped its anchor on a previously untouched patch of coral. Nearly 12,000 square feet of reef was damaged, to varying degrees.

The Department of Environment’s initiative to build a possible criminal case went nowhere, and the three parties involved in the incident — Carnival, Bodden Shipping and the Port Authority — weren’t about to shoulder the blame. Of those, only Carnival stepped up with checkbook in hand.

Most striking and (considering the economic importance of our country’s coral) most puzzling, has been the lack of financial support from Cayman’s government.
Despite the formation of a much-ballyhooed National Conservation Council, and the accumulation of $52 million in the country’s so-called “Environmental Protection Fund,” not one penny was allocated to address directly the clear and present environmental catastrophe at the Magic Reef. The government did, however, recently siphon off $5.1 million from the Environmental Protection Fund — with most of that going toward consultants and the completion of studies and reports, including the cruise port environmental impact assessment ($2.5 million), Integrated Solid Waste Management project ($1 million) and various DOE projects, including studies of blue and green iguanas ($1.5 million).

The good people of Cayman should consider this as an instructive introduction to the practice of natural conservation by government committee.

The cruise port EIA has drawn much attention for consultants’ estimates that some 30 acres of reef and associated marine habitat in George Town harbor could be destroyed or negatively impacted by the construction of the cruise berthing project. The consultants broached the idea of “relocating” some of that affected reef, with the caveat that there is no guarantee of success, and the caution that such an endeavor could cost $13 million or more.

The Magic Reef Restoration project, we think, has illustrated a few points that are relevant to the broader cruise berthing debate.

First, it shows how difficult, expensive and time-consuming the process of trying to “save” live coral is.

Second, it shows who has been willing to demonstrate, with deeds and not just with words, how much they care about Cayman’s coral — that is, restoration project organizers, volunteers and donors (including Carnival, dive shops and other local businesses).

Third, it shows, by omission, who wasn’t there, who didn’t lead the charge, and who wasn’t willing to allocate money and resources for the coral restoration — the Cayman Islands government.

More about Reef Recovery
Reef recovery effort continues :: Cayman Compass

Volunteers with the Magic Reef Recovery project have spent nearly 1,000 hours working to restore a large patch of reef that was destroyed by a cruise ship anchor last year. They have cleared tons of rubble, built coral nurseries and painstakingly rebuilt pieces of coral, cementing pieces together, but there is still much work to be done, organizers of the recovery work say. In August 2014, the captain of the 1,000-foot Carnival Magic cruise ship mistakenly anchored in an unauthorized zone outside of Don Foster’s dive shop. The cruise line has maintained that it was directed to anchor at the site by Port Authority officials.
According to volunteer Ralph Ariza, organizers had hoped to finish the restoration effort by October, but will likely continue to work until December.
“Definitely by the end of this year, we will evaluate if it makes sense to continue going or if we just need to leave it alone,” Mr. Ariza said. “It’s pretty near and dear to us, so as much as possible, I think we’re still going to want to go out there even if the project is not officially going on.”
Between coordinating volunteer schedules and waiting to receive necessary resources, “it’s taken us a long time to get things running the way we wanted to,” he said.
Jo Bond, who has been volunteering with the project since it began, says they have been able to save “crates and crates” of live coral, but that she didn’t “really appreciate at first look just how much there was to do.”
The recovery project is considered to be one of the largest volunteer-led operations of its kind, Mr. Ariza said.
There have been larger reef restoration projects around the world, he said, but they have typically been funded by governments or universities. After Holland America’s Maasdam ran aground on Soto’s Reef off George Town in 1996, the cruise company financed the restoration effort, paying divers to work full time. Mr. Ariza estimates that recovery project took at least 9,000 hours of labor.
The Magic Reef Recovery effort does not have the same type of backing. Its lifeblood has been community support, individuals volunteering their time and businesses donating their resources, from dive equipment, to boats to fuel for those boats. In the spring, the project was boosted by a fundraiser that raised nearly $30,000, as well as a $100,000 donation from Carnival Cruise Line, owners of the Carnival Magic cruise ship. With those funds, the group has been able to buy a boat and has begun to pay its regular volunteers.
The group spent nearly $16,000 on a 24-foot Sportfish called the Honey Badger. Previously, volunteers had to either swim from shore, which limited their dive time, or depend upon donated boat time from local dive operators. The Honey Badger is launched from Don Foster’s dive shop, which has donated the use of its dock.
The boat, which the group has been using since May, allows volunteers to go out more regularly, said Mr. Ariza. In the past few weeks, volunteers have been going out every Saturday and Sunday and sometimes another day during the week. The boat can accommodate six people, including the driver. Ms. Bond said the boat has allowed volunteers to make more dives per day.
“We’re getting three times as much work done a day now,” she said.
Volunteers have been salvaging live coral from the rubble and are now beginning the painstaking process of reattaching it to the reef using marine epoxy.
Mr. Ariza said the project needs regular volunteers more than anything else.
“As the months have gone on, we’ve had quite a bit of fluctuation in the number of people that have been coming out to help us,” he said. “In the first few months, there were times that boats were fully packed and you didn’t have enough space for people who wanted to volunteer, and you would have times where the boats wouldn’t run because you would have so few people.”
The organization is now able to offer regular volunteers $30 per dive. The payment, which began at the end of June, has not led to an increase in volunteers, said Mr. Ariza, but it has made it easier for regular volunteers to continue their work.
“We’ve all been juggling full-time jobs in addition to trying to go out there as often as possible, so now it’s a little bit better in that you can maybe take a day off work and go out there and dive,” he said.
Individuals who wish to volunteer with the reef recovery effort need to be open water certified and have DAN (Divers Alert Network) accident insurance. Volunteers need to come out at least three times in order to be eligible to receive payment. Details of restoration dives are posted on the group’s Magic Reef Restoration Facebook page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RJP
It has really been eye opening to me to see how disinterested the Cayman Islands DOE has been in this whole process. As a destination that really made its reputation on great scuba diving and unspoiled reefs, I guess we can really see how completely the government has sold out to the cruise lines. It is quite sad that it has come to the point where they can't even fault or punish their own contractor for a clear error that caused measurable damage to a limited resource. Their silence, both in terms of punishment for the guilty party(ies) as well as lack of participation in the recovery project has been pretty startling to me, even as jaded as I am about the Cayman government. I thought the folks at DOE were professionals, not politicians, so it must be a pretty powerful muzzle that the government has used to keep them quiet about this. I just hope that when they are finished letting the cruise ships and developers wreck the reefs around GC that they don't move on to the sister islands next. Hopefully the cost of the cruise ship pier and GC airport renovation will keep them from being able to spend much money screwing up LC or CB for the next few years at least.

It has really been eye opening to me to see how disinterested the Cayman Islands DOE has been in this whole process. As a destination that really made its reputation on great scuba diving and unspoiled reefs, I guess we can really see how completely the government has sold out to the cruise lines. It is quite sad that it has come to the point where they can't even fault or punish their own contractor for a clear error that caused measurable damage to a limited resource. Their silence, both in terms of punishment for the guilty party(ies) as well as lack of participation in the recovery project has been pretty startling to me, even as jaded as I am about the Cayman government. I thought the folks at DOE were professionals, not politicians, so it must be a pretty powerful muzzle that the government has used to keep them quiet about this. I just hope that when they are finished letting the cruise ships and developers wreck the reefs around GC that they don't move on to the sister islands next. Hopefully the cost of the cruise ship pier and GC airport renovation will keep them from being able to spend much money screwing up LC or CB for the next few years at least.
The CIG has never really embraced diving. To be honest, the income derived from diving is small potatoes when compared with what other parts of the tourist industry, especially cruise ships, bring in. A lot of it is also about what are perceived as "good" jobs for Caymanians. When was the last time you dove with a Caymanian instructor or dive master? Even the dive boat captains are all immigrants. "Good" jobs are in construction, not diving. You build a cruise ship pier or renovate an airport, you provide "good" jobs to your constituents. You promote healthy reefs and the dive industry, you provide low paying jobs for Brits, folks from the more well behaved colonies and Americans. That's an easy choice when your job depends on the whim of an increasingly disgruntled electorate.

Last edited:
I still would like to see the breakdown between how much an average cruiser spends on the island during their typical 6-12 hour stay versus how much the average diver spends during their typical 5-7 day stay. I would also love to see a breakdown of what it costs the government to get those visitors there. Divers are cheap...the island was going to have an airport with or without us. Other than that, their only expense to support divers is installing a few mooring buoys and some enforcement of the marine sanctuaries. What do they pay to have cruisers come in terms of port infrastructure that would otherwise not be needed...especially if they decide to build a pier? I understand that they don't see divers as a group as necessarily important...but that doesn't mean that they aren't misunderstanding what draws people to their islands. Without great diving, there is very little in the Caymans that is different than any other island in the Caribbean. And pretty much every other island in the Caribbean is MUCH cheaper. So if you go and destroy the diving (either through active destruction or neglect), you take away one of the main things that makes the Caymans different than the rest of the Caribbean. It isn't like T&C doesn't have as good or better beaches, Mexico/Belize doesn't have better cultural attractions, and Jamaica and the DR don't have way cheaper and better all-inclusive beach resorts. What people come to the Caymans for is clean beaches, low crime, and good diving/snorkeling. They are willing to pay a premium price to get it. When the diving and snorkeling start to look just like Jamaica and the DR, don't expect people to keep paying a premium to get it.

Very interesting article about the need to protect the environment to ensure the long-term wealth of the country.

An argument against cruise berthing facilities :: Cayman Compass

Personally I think that the Cayman government are very worried right now about Cuba. If Cuba becomes a popular vacation destination for American tourists that could hurt their revenue, so they are scrambling to find ways to make the island more attractive to visitors. There are thinking short term IMO.

If they are worried about competition from Cuba (and they most undoubtedly are and should be), they should be looking at what makes the Cayman Islands unique and attractive to tourists. The answer isn't more jewelry stores and cruise ship docks... When Cuba opens fully to American tourism, they will likely be cheaper than anywhere else, will have better beaches than just about anywhere else, more interesting cultural attractions than just about anywhere else, and should have pretty good diving too. What everybody else in the Caribbean is going to have to ask themselves is what makes our island different enough from Cuba for people to fly further and spend more money to stay there. Islands that can't find a good answer to that question to use as a target for their marketing campaigns will see a huge hit to their tourism numbers when Cuba opens. To me, the draw Cayman has is the best diving and snorkeling...I can't see why they would willingly jeopardize that to provide more of something that they are in no way unique in providing.

I still would like to see the breakdown between how much an average cruiser spends on the island during their typical 6-12 hour stay versus how much the average diver spends during their typical 5-7 day stay.....

Average passenger spending for cruise ship visitors has been cited as around CI$67 (about US$82) per day. Tourists arriving by air spend about CI$194 (about US$237) per day, with an average stay of five days so a total expenditure of CI$970 (US$1183) over the course of their stay.

That is a 14.5 : 1 ratio. But there are MANY more cruise shippers than tourist air arrivals.

See: Year of extremes for tourism industry :: Cayman Compass

If they are worried about competition from Cuba (and they most undoubtedly are and should be), they should be looking at what makes the Cayman Islands unique and attractive to tourists. The answer isn't more jewelry stores and cruise ship docks... When Cuba opens fully to American tourism, they will likely be cheaper than anywhere else, will have better beaches than just about anywhere else, more interesting cultural attractions than just about anywhere else, and should have pretty good diving too. What everybody else in the Caribbean is going to have to ask themselves is what makes our island different enough from Cuba for people to fly further and spend more money to stay there. Islands that can't find a good answer to that question to use as a target for their marketing campaigns will see a huge hit to their tourism numbers when Cuba opens. To me, the draw Cayman has is the best diving and snorkeling...I can't see why they would willingly jeopardize that to provide more of something that they are in no way unique in providing.

Yesterday I was speaking with someone who recently returned from a Panama Canal cruise. Her shipped had docked in many ports along the way including places in Mexico, Panama, and other locations in South and Central America and the Caribbean.

All of the ports she mentioned are considered "poor countries". Then she told me that they visited Georgetown in Grand Cayman and it was such a nice change! It was clean and the people were friendly and they didn't have to worry about eating the food or drinking the water. And they could snorkel nearby in beautiful water and see a wreck and abundant sea life. She said that of all of the places they stopped on this trip, the Caymans were the only spot that she wanted to re-visit.

It made me think that AggieDiver is right, and the Cayman government should think about what makes their country unique and attractive and do their best to protect, preserve, and enhance those attributes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom