Arthritis and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean One

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dr. D.

A student in my OW Class asked if she would be more susceptable to DCS (The Bends)because of the mild arthritis she has in her hands. We were talking about how it can exhibit itself as pain in joints. As her medically challenged instructor, I said "I don't know the answer to that excellent question, but I'll ask." The depth of my physiological knowledge is contained in the Encyclodeia of Recreational Diving
Your thoughts!

Ocean One

I have often wonderd about that as well....or just the confusion of the two. I usually take note if I am having joint pain issues prior to diving....just to make sure I know that going in the water...i feel that way. I'll be curious what the Doc has to say......

Thanks for the info!

I too would be interested in that info. I have moderate artheritis in my knees due to a genetic defect... thus my knees are almost always sore after diving, but none of my other joints ache or hurt so I don't worry about DCS. I am also not privy to pushing any limits either.

Back
Top Bottom