ARRRGH. Scubaboard ate my response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Twice in the past 2 days the board has eaten a long thoughtful response to a post. I will reply with quote, write a response, then hit "post quick reply" at the bottom of the response box. I then get the "go advanced" screen with none of my original post in it, which is now gone. Doesn't happen every time, otherwise I'd go in for "Scubaboard retraining", but it's frustrating.

There is an "Auto Save" feature. If you hit the back button, does the auto restore not work? You should notice a little "Auto-Save" in yellow every few minutes.

When and if you refresh the page, it should offer you the option to "restore auto saved content" in the bottom of the quick reply box (it's in blue)

Howard, that has worked in the past, but not these 2 times. It's only when I reply with quote, then hit post quick reply. Never when I just post a quick reply like I am doing now.

Well... I'll check to see if there's any other vBulletin sites with this issue. AND... there is a version update (4.1.6 to 4.1.7 - which according to the release notes include several bug fixes and some changes to the CKeditor - AKA our Quick Reply and Advanced Editor) which I plan on doing before the end of the month. I am in a bad spot right now (signal wise), and don't have steady internet, so don't want to get involved in a version update and have it fubar because I lose internet in the middle of it.

In the meantime... Maybe just copy your text before you submit?? I know it's a lame "workaround" suggestion, but it would solve your problem in the meantime while I investigate any potential causes.

I really like seeing the autosave pop up. Though I have yet to use it it does give me peace of mind. And have to say that Howard's "lame workaround" is not lame at all. It has saved my butt numerous times from having to go find a post. I keep some stuff pasted on notepad and use it in PM's and emails, and on some of the stuff like my "who is responsible" essay in actual classroom prep. Being able to copy and paste sections saves a lot of time and wear on my fingers.

I have lost more than a couple of my posts, but think the majority of the problem is a result of my satellite connection. I have tried to get in the habit of "copying" more involved psots, but do not always remember till too late. :(

I do like the Autosave feature too, but I am not sure that it is available on every computer I use. I have a hunch some of the staions I borrow may block the feature, as this station I am on right now does Spellcheck, which is NOT a good thing with my poor spelling. Not being my computer I am not allowed to make any changes, though.

I used to compose in MS word also, then cut and paste my response. It's just so darned handy to go back over the thread and see what I should have said. Howard's work around has been a good way to work it.....

Also - FWIW - there is in the WYSIWYG editor a "Paste from Word" button. Which preserves the formatting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom