Argonaut Dive #18 Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 463133 View attachment 463134

Just like everyone else, I’m impressed with the quality and design of this wing. I noticed the tank stabilizers grew longer on the 18lb wing - I assume all the new ones are that way? I was hoping I could bolt my Freedom plate ‘rails’ over the wing w/o modifying anything but it looks like that won’t work out.

Which one do you have? The older batch of #18 or the newer batch?

In the picture is the latest #18 with the elongated slots. Available in the website store now. Free domestic shipping on orders over $50.00. I can have one out to you on Monday.

Yes, new batch. It just came yesterday and seems to be the best deal on a really nice wing, by far.

Report from Truk;
The VDH 18 on my long Freedom plate are performing perfectly. No rail on the plate just lower hole STA. I only put air in the wing before and after the dive to float the rig.
Nice!
Are you having any butt bumping issues with the tank using the plate without the rail?
Or is all golden?

A
Nice!
Are you having any butt bumping issues with the tank using the plate without the rail?
Or is all golden?
ll golden, in fact I’ve had to start cinching down my waist belt to keep it snugged to my back otherwise the tank would float away and I was arching my back to much, figured that out when my back started aching.

Thanks to the number of plates I have and the number of divers under my roof I ordered another 18 lb wing. It came in today! I too am using mine on a Freedom Plate without the rails and do not notice any insult to my rump.....but that's all been said before by me and others.

I was rearranging my closet to make space for the new addition when I ran across an old friend. My Aquacraft Backpack-you know, it's what we used before the jacket style BC became popular. Yep, still have it and just for grins decided to attach my new toy to my "Old Faithful." Works like a charm.

Here are a few pix:

Aquacraft backpack with VDH wing front.jpg

Aquacraft backpack with VDH wing back.jpg

Aquacraft backpack with VDH wing left.jpg

Thanks to the number of plates I have and the number of divers under my roof I ordered another 18 lb wing. It came in today! I too am using mine on a Freedom Plate without the rails and do not notice any insult to my rump.....but that's all been said before by me and others.

I was rearranging my closet to make space for the new addition when I ran across an old friend. My Aquacraft Backpack-you know, it's what we used before the jacket style BC became popular. Yep, still have it and just for grins decided to attach my new toy to my "Old Faithful." Works like a charm.

Here are a few pix:

View attachment 464222
View attachment 464223
View attachment 464224
I have an old Healthways pack very similar to the one you’re showing.
I love it to death, but it’s only 14” tall and I’m 6’4”. The math doesn’t really work with me using that pack. I should probably send it to someone who could really use it. It’s in perfect condition.

A big thanks to Bryan and Vitage Double Hose - this is a very nice wing at a great price and I’m grateful to own one.

I finally got to dive my 18lb Argonaut wing yesterday, mounted on a Freedom Contour with a Scubapro MK10 first stage, AL80 tank, in the ocean with a 3/2 wetsuit.

The 18lb wing has plenty of lift with 12lbs weight (total) in the ocean - enough to stay above choppy water at the surface. I had to lay back a little more than with a semi-inflated 30lb since the lift rating assumes the wing is fully submerged, but that was easy to get used to. Having the right size wing made it much easier to empty all the air out near the surface (compared to my previous 30lb wing). I had previously struggled to stay down between 0 and 10 feet, but with the 18lb wing it was easy.

The long slots in the wing helped get everything perfectly adjusted so the wing wasn’t interfering with my reg connections. I’m using a SP MK10 which is kind of long and has the pivoting turret, and can mount my first stage in any orientation and adjust the wing accordingly. If I were to bolt the wing to the plate, I could use either set of holes and have the slots in the wing and plate aligned.

This was my first time using a 13” corrugated hose and I liked the change. With a 16” hose I feel like there’s a lot of ‘stuff’ dangling in front of me, and it forces me to find a way to tuck the inflator when I ‘m not using it. With the 13” the power inflator sits closer to my shoulder and just stays put.

With the Freedom Contour plate’s STA rails, I have to physically tuck the wing’s anti-roll bars between the STA rails, otherwise the plate sits crooked on the tank. I may consider removing the anti-roll bars at some point, but I don’t want to void the warranty any time soon. I’ll keep playing with it to see if I can come up with a better way to mount it or tuck the bars in.

Especially as a new diver, I can’t stress how lucky I feel to be diving such a sweet little rig. This forum has been amazing in many ways, and I particularly am grateful to those of you who’ve helped me get set up with my equipment. I’m sure you know who you are.

Update... FedEx says they will deliver #18, #23 and #35 wings on Friday so you can order them in the website store now and I'll get them shipped over the weekend. Thank you :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom