Argh! New mask keeps fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Onewolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased an Atomic Frameless mask and I cannot keep it from fogging. I have thoroughly scrubbed the inside mask glass three times with special 'mask cleaner' and I use my normal pre dive defog procedure with the new mask. Invariably the new mask fogs up like San Francisco in the summertime. :confused: I've gone back to my trusty old Cressi Big Eyes and I have no problem with it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to the Atomic mask to help prevent the fog issues? I'd really like to use it since it's very comfortable and has a great field of view.

Thank.

Clean it again! Get toothpaste, not gel and really rub the inside of the skirt and the glass. They typically have traces of mold release that is part of the manufacture process. If it is "clean" you will not ever have a problem. Just spit and go. Hope this helps
See you topside! John

You can also use Dawn Dish detergent. No matter what you use, get aggressive with the scrubbing, until you can hear your finger squeaking on it. You may have to repeat this 3-4 times to get the silicon coating off.

I had to scrub my Atomic frameless mask for about 20 minutes. I use Gleem toothpaste that is a dollar a tube at CVS. My daughter didn't believe me, and got the fogging, too. Scrub, scrub scrub!

These are great masks, and once scrubbed, you'll be glad you got one.

I have to agree that these are great masks. I have 2 and used Colgate 2in1 whitening toothpaste on them. I re-do them if I have been in a pool as them seem to fog easily after that.

Stu S. My daughter had the same reaction when I bought her one.

Wash it with Dawn and hot water. Dry it off. Using a lighter, burn the lens all over until black soot covers the entire lens and allow lens to cool. Wash the soot off with hot water and Dawn. Works on every mask including my Atomic Frameless. N

I also had continuous fogging problems with my Atomic frameless. It finally stopped after the third agrresive scrubbing with soft scrub. Great masks, but a pain to get the factory film off.

Toothpaste worked a treat on my subframe mask!

I have the same mask. More than one, actually.

My usual treatment (toothpaste scrub) never quite did the trick. I was skeptical at first but am now a true-believer in the fire method. Take a cigarette lighter and burn off the layer of crud on there. It will turn black and curl up. You can then scrub it off.

Since I did that, no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom