Are your customers irrational? Good!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thought I'd pull this out of a thread elsewhere and drop it here to see if it can generate some "behind the scenes" discussion. (It's on my website as well http://www.aquismarketing.com/new-blog-1/)

For all the talk of the rise of the internet retailer - and the contempt with which many divers regard any bricks & mortardive shop owner (or boat operator, gear manufacturer, resort owner, etc) who wants to be able to keep their doors open and feed their family - I don't think any diver WANTS their local dive shop (LDS) to close up shop. Quite the contrary, in fact. Most people would love their LDS to run a business in a way that allows their shop - and diving overall - to flourish. Doing so benefits both the shop and the the diver alike. (And not simply by ensuring access to tank fills.)

However - to buck conventional wisdom - that doesn't mean that the LDS needs to cut prices in order to keep customers walking through the door rather than going online. They simply need to run their business in a way that causes divers to WANT to spend money in their shop... rather than someplace else.

Marketing is about convincing people to make irrational financial decisions

Customers willingly make commercial decisions that are not in their best economic self-interests all the time. Think about it. Why do people willingly buy a beer in a bar...

Ray+Purkis+Aquis+Marketing+Beer+Menu

...when they know full-well that they can purchase the exact same beer for 66 cents, right across the street?

Ray+Purkis+Aquis+Liquor+Store+Window

In a world where is seemingly a liquor store on every street corner, purchasing beer in a bar makes no rational sense whatsoever. Yet plenty of the same people who have no problem laying out $3.00 for a 66-cent beer will go out of their way to order a bolt-snap online in order to save a dollar... all the while excoriating the LDS owner for trying to "take advantage of divers" or "rip divers off" by charging a higher price.

What can be done short of lowering prices?

A retail transaction is a simple form of economic equilibrium: a customer gives the shop owner a certain amount of money in exchange for something that they perceive to be of equivalent value. When the customer doesn't perceive the potential value received to be commensurate with the amount of money requested... no transaction will occur. If an LDS owner - or any business person - faces that situation with any regularity, there are two remedies available:

1. Lower The Price Requested
  2. Increase The Value Offered

So if you don't want to lower your prices (who does?) you need to find ways to increase value. And, yes, many LDS owners will tout the ability for the customer to try gear in the pool, compare items side-by-side, expertise, etc as value that they provide that the online retailer doesn't. However... those are RATIONAL things. Can you imagine a bar trying to justify charging $3.00 for a bottle of Bud based on the fact that the bartender has bottle-opening expertise? Or that the customer has the ability to try a sip of several draft beers before committing to spending $2.75 for a whole glass of the one they prefer?

So, what ELSE we can provide customers that will better allow them to make the irrational financial decision to give a dive shop their money... with a smile on their face?

well, the first thing we need to do is put a smile on our own face and try being pleasant to the customers. I know I can sometimes be a grumpy Gus when I am trying to finish a reg rebuild and some pesky customer "bothers" me by calling on the phone or coming in the front door.

Second we need to take this business a little more seriously/professionally. Now I am not saying we all need to wear shoes and long pants or even work in the biz full time, but we need to conduct ourselves more professionally across the board.

After reading most of Seth Godin's books back in 04 I decided it would be smart to leverage my existing resources to increase the value chain to the customer.

1 - Air Fill Station
2 - 15' In Store Heated Pool
3 - Education Department
4 - Service Department

Instead of just "Telling" the customers about our customer service... or expecting them to know about it, I decided to create logos and signage that would make them tangible and real

Things I could use as leverage

Advanced Adventure Diver Flyer web.jpg

freedom tank club flyer web 2 color.jpg

and a few others for things like "Extended Service Agreement" and a "Club Membership"

Once these things are Marketed correctly they are perceived as having real value.

Then I usually bundle these programs into my Custom Diving Systems instead of lowering my margins. It took very little time to get my system sale percentage back up to around 90%

All while maintaining my preferred margin

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom