Are you happy with your Oceanic Delta 3/Delta3 Titanium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm still wondering if I made the right purchase on my reg in the Oceanic Delta3/TDX5 Titanium setup for my daughter and I. I keep going back to this review where it scored lower than regulators that are much less expensive in some cases. Wondering if the review knows something I don't. http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/best_new_regs/8/

We picked this setup over the ScubaPro Mk25/S600 reg setup by diving in an 11 foot pool. Starting to wonder if that was the best test to go by. After diving with it for a while, do you still like your Delta3 setup? Thanks.

Don’t worry about it—it’s a perfectly good reg.

...well, it appears it scored an decent rating overall, although it's entirely possible you didn't get the most performance bang for the buck.........but now that you own it, why don't you give it a chance and have her dive it and see how it does ? Don't obsess over the ratings just yet, I'll bet it will be a perfectly decent reg, especially in a recreational diving situation, moreover, I'd recommend you have it checked out by your favorite / most trusted local dive shop to make sure it's tuned to perfection, afterall, a decent reg finely tuned will outperform a poorly adjusted/ poorly maintained 'super' reg.

Karl

I have the very same setup and I'm only 15 dive experienced with OW + AOW + Nitrox certified this past summer. Eventually, my goals are to go to more tec type diving and I'll have to change it out once I get there. But that's a long way off yet. My experience so far with the Delta 3 and DX5 (could't afford the titanium version you have) is this:

6 feef dives ~60' or less
4 deep dives ~120' max
4 river dives that had lots of sediment
1 pool dive.

I had no trouble with the unit in any of the water environments. I even tested the adjustment knob both on my shallow and deep dives and it worked great - but then again I don't have anything else to compare it to. However, after finding out that my AOW instructor is definately a DIR man I asked him as well as the dive shop's tech (who is like 1000+ dives) about this rig. Since the dive shop doesn't stock Oceanic I figured I could get a more honest answer. They both agreed for all rec type diving this unit was fine and well above average for what they saw other divers using on the boat and what was brought in to the dive shop for service or repair.

Right now, after discovering this board, I've replace my BCD with a BP/W, simplified my SPG (from a brick style console) and have a slightly different attitude about diving. I wish I did my research before I bought the items I trained on in my OW class but, at that time, I did not know any better nor did I EVER think that I wanted to eventually cave dive (which I'm learning requires you to slim down and use different epuip).

For your daughter, who may not go further than pure recorational or vacation diving, the Oceanic unit will do you fine - even if you paid more for it than you would have wished. They are a well established company with, from what I've read, good on customer service. Consider the extra dollars you spent on this.

I agree with the others, clean it after every use and get it serviced annually. This should be common practice with all dive gear.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Thanks Brad, that's the kind of info I was looking for. About the price, ScubaToys is selling them for less than half MSRP, so it was in the same price range with the Zeagle and ScubaPro non-titanium regs.

Back
Top Bottom