Are you, also, missing that perfect 2nd and 3rd shot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siki

Reaction score
My Fuji E900 takes a bit more than 10 seconds to write a raw file to the memory card. During that time my subject will, invariably, come back and pose perfectly for me and then swim away.

I am looking for solutions and have come up with the following options. Can you help me add to this list?

a. Purchase a new DSLR with a large buffer and buy some strobes with a very short recycling time.

b. Purchase a used DSLR system with a buffer. Which Canon, Olympus, or Nikon cameras would be most appropriate?

c. Wait until the Canon G10 and a reasonable housing comes out. I understand it has a buffer of 3 raw files and a very fast write time.

d. Or ???

I am sure that many of you know the perfect solution. Please share.

Aloha

Siki

a. Maybe you could shoot using smaller size?
b. maybe you could get a faster card?
c. shoot in jpg?

Of course you will have your problem solved throwing a bunch of cash at a new or used DSLR.
I think if you really want to shoot super fast the strobe re-cycle time will be the constraint on a new system. I'm sure you'd find it acceptable though.

Sean

Shoot JPG.

I don't fully understand why people need to shoot RAW, especially for day to day shots. I find high resolution JPG's work for everything up to A4 mag prints. Just learn how to adjust the colors in Photoshop and you're away.

Go with a used DSLR system and strobes that quickly recycle. There are always complete systems for sale if you don't insist on the latest and greatest. Right now you are already seeing Nikon D200 and D300 systems for sale. Don't know anything about Canon but don't think you can really go wrong with any of the middle to Prosumer Nikon or Canon DSLR products (Nikon D80,90,200,300). You can see our list of stuff at our site much of which I bought lightly used.

What's your budget? If it's tight, go for a 2nd hand DSLR system. A used D80, housing, ports and strobes. If you can afford a bit more, a new D90 will get you up to speed. It's got almost as good a picture quality of the D300 (which I use). Some say the color reproduction is even better. Sea & Sea has a new polycarbonate housing for this camera which is supposed to be cheaper (and lighter) than their Aluminum range. You can also go Ikelite which offers good value for money.

Either way, this is a massive step up from a Point and shoot....and much more expensive than a G10 outfit. Keep in mind that you will also need different lenses. At least a 60mm Macro and a perhaps a Tokina 10-17 Fisheye for wide angle. You will then also need a dome port for the wide angle and a standard port for the basic macro lens. Any lens that has a zoom (like the 10-17) will need a zoom gear (which isn't cheap either- between approx $100-200 depending on housing brand).

Hopefully, your pockets are deep enough as photos taken with a DSLR are that much better (assuming you know what you are doing)

Yeah, go DSLR definitely.
I have a D300 + S&S housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom