Are we wrong to be different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because we are new to the "computer diving", we were thinking of getting different models/brands so we could see what we liked or disliked when making a more informed purchasing decision for the upgrade that we would buy next.

I did buy the Zeagel N2ition, so now just need to decide on the other, lol.

A few years ago when I bought ours, I narrowed the choices down to zoop and leonardo and also considered buying one of each. I ended up buying 2 of the latter because I got a much better deal: it was 2 + usb cradle for slightly over a hundred above the msrp of one. There was nothing even close on the zoop. Today I'd've probably bought aeris closeouts: a300 or mantas they were selling off a while back. N2ition is cheaper and bigger but oceanic will most likely support aeris-branded gear for a while and I could live with the watch form factor if I really had to. That said, so far we're doing fine with the leonardos and aren't planning to upgrade anytime soon. I do keep an eye on what's out there because I'm a computer geek.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2015 at 04:15 AM ----------

What about other functions, on the surface: setting the date and time, viewing dive tables for dive planning, reviewing the log, etc etc. Yes you can deal with it, but why when there is so much competition with easier menu navigation.

You need to spend some time getting used to it initially. Took me about 5 minutes, YMMV. We dive air, mostly on a pretty relaxed schedule, so the only thing we really do on the surface is setting time for timezone change. I very rarely check the plan mode because I rarely see NDL below 99 on my dives. The log I review in subsurface, I only need the button to put the DC in PC link mode. So no: for what the DC does one button is plenty good enough, lack of buttons is a FUD non-argument.

Last edited:
Mine and my wife's birthdays are 3 weeks apart and this year we decided to buy each other a beginning dive computer. She wants the Zoop and I kinda like the Leonardo.

The million dollar questions are (no, you don't get a million for answering, unless you mean thank you's)

1) Would we be doing ourselves a disservice by having different computer "brands"
2) if we had to pick one (sorry, probably asked a million and one times) which would it be and why?

We will always dive together if that has any weight.

Very much appreciate any input from those in the know!!!!

Mares Puck Pro.
Both the Cressi & Zoop do not have an option to permanently turn on the backlight.
You will need this for your night dive during ascents if you are doing any kind of safety stop.

?
Or can you say that in a family rated forum?

Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2015 at 08:58 PM ----------

Mares Puck Pro.
Both the Cressi & Zoop do not have an option to permanently turn on the backlight.
You will need this for your night dive during ascents if you are doing any kind of safety stop.

The zoop doesn't have a backlight, it has a luminous display, point a torch at it for a couple of seconds and it glows. I find this easier than pressing a button. Obviously the oleds and permanent back lit LEDs are best for that, but you pay with much more frequent battery changes and the associated risk.

Last edited:
Mine and my wife's birthdays are 3 weeks apart and this year we decided to buy each other a beginning dive computer. She wants the Zoop and I kinda like the Leonardo.

The million dollar questions are (no, you don't get a million for answering, unless you mean thank you's)

1) Would we be doing ourselves a disservice by having different computer "brands"
2) if we had to pick one (sorry, probably asked a million and one times) which would it be and why?

We will always dive together if that has any weight.

Very much appreciate any input from those in the know!!!!

Almost all of the diving I do is with buddies who have a different computer than mine. Even during technical dives it's entirely possible for us to have a team where nobody is using the same computer.

The way to compensate in the context of recreational diving is beyond easy. The NDL's if they are different will only differ by a few minutes. Simply leave the bottom before the first computer gets to the NDL and start your ascent.

If one of the computers gives a mandatory deep stop during the ascent then both divers stop and wait together. The less conservative computer will compensate for making that stop. Rinse and repeat....

Diving two different computers in a buddy team is about as complicated as walking down the street together. One of you might be able to walk faster than the other but if you choose to stay together it doesn't create a problem.

R..

Any interest in an Oceanic Geo or Veo? There's 3 Veo's at different price points under $300 - Geo's I believe are $399.

They all run Oceanics Pelagic-Z algorithm which is based on the Buhlmann ZH-L16 used in your N2Ition.

You can also switch the Oceanic's to DSAT which might match the more aggressive settings possible on the N2Ition.

The discontinued Aeris models probably do also if you can find a better deal on a Manta or one of the A100 line.

I think (I'm pretty sure) Suunto uses [-]Halane/Weinkamp[/-] RGBM algorithms and are more conservative. And you can only set a Zoop to be more conservative - there's no more aggressive option. Suunto is watching out for you..(really, that's what I read somewhere.)

Last edited:
I think (I'm pretty sure) Suunto uses Halane/Weinkamp algorithms and are more conservative.

They used to back in 2004 or so. Suunto claims that some of their computers, including the Zoop use a (proprietary) RGBM model.

I'm not sure I entirely believe it but that's what they say.

R..

You're right...

The Suunto RGBM Heritage
At the heart of every Suunto dive computer is an algorithm – the reduced gradient bubble model (RGBM) – that calculates decompression for a dive. Relentlessly pursuing ever best models for divers of all types, Suunto continues to push for RGBM perfection. Suunto has been developing RGBM algorithms together with Dr. Bruce Wienke for well over a decade. A rich history full of science, development, and underwater experience lies within every Suunto dive computer.

Suunto RGBM
Our pioneering algorithm for managing dissolved and free gas in blood and tissue. Used in Suunto Vyper Air, Vyper, Cobra, Cobra3, Zoop, D4i, and D6i, this adaptable algorithm provides an accurate picture of what’s happening in the body throughout a dive.

First on the market to implement leading scientific research in decompression modeling.
Reliability proven by millions of successful dives.
A pioneering effort reflected in many other dive computers on the market.

Suunto Technical RGBM
An advanced algorithm that provides flexibility and safety during ascent through continuous decompression. Created especially to meet the needs of technical divers, it eliminates the need to constantly monitor depth, time, and when to switch gases, and means all critical data can be provided through a single device. Used in Suunto HelO2 and D9tx computers.

Founded on the proven Suunto RGBM.
Developed together with Dr. Bruce Wienke.

The inconvenience comes when one diver has a more liberal algorithm, which gives a statistically safe longer NDL, but is required to follow a shorter NDL due to the risk of lock-out on the more conservative computer.

People keep offering this as a reason to buy "the same computer" as if one spouse would ditch the other based on the NDL their computer showed them. It might be a reason to buy the more liberal computer, but not to buy the same computer, per se.

As to the illusory "issue" of buddies diving different computers I'll simply provide the experience that my buddy and I have diving together.

He dives an "acceptably liberal" Oceanic computer, while I dive a "way too conservative" Suunto computer. Over the course of the past 10 years - somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 dives together - we have never had the NDL that my Suunto gave me be a dive limiting factor. Ever. We dive deep. We dive long. We dive often. We do every dive on a liveaboard trip. On Bonaire trips we've averaged 5-6 dives a day. On our most recent trip we dove the Windjammer - a dive with a max depth of 205ft and a total runtime of 89 minutes - my Suunto gave me 1 more minute of deco than Dave's Oceanic gave him. (Although the fact that I hit 205' and Dave only hit 199' could explain that.) Either way, if anyone wants to actually suggest that the Suunto is "way too conservative" in the grand scheme of things... so be it.

I can't offer any advice on those two computers, but if you're wife isn't a "read the manual" type, I'd strongly recommend getting the same computer, especially if you're not diving all that often, and hence prone to forget how to operate the device.

My wife and I dive once or twice a year together, and she never remembers how to set her gas mix, see the temperature, etc. I'm essentially her "owners manual" and I'm not sure if want to have to learn and remember two different computers.

We also dive AI so having the same computer (or at least the same brand) lets us use the same transmitters should we want a spare or carry spare batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom