Are UW-Photogs solo divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the 3 man team method. The photographer is the "dependent buddy", with no buddy duties except in emergency. The other two are normal buddies that watch over themselves and the photographer (and probably also work as fish spotters).

As with the overall buddy vs. solo argument, one can argue that the 3 person team approach is overkill for most dives, but it is a good alternative for more challenging conditions.

Eli you stated:
"I am glad to see people "admitting" to breaking the rules and diving solo. I too have considered it, but have yet to do it. Of the people here who dive solo, how long have you been doing this? If you dont answer Ill assume you disappeared in a solo diving accident".

First off, It's not breaking the rules.
I have been solo diving from a kayak for about 8 years now. I am responding as you requested to let you know I am still here :D

There are very few buddies I dive with that I feel totally secure with. So I look at almost every dive as a solo in that I rely only on myself.

I have no problem diving solo in places I know well and I take extra precautions for my safety. Wearing a pony, limiting my depths and avoiding known potential entanglement areas.

A camera sets me even further apart from most non-photo buddies. I let them know ahead of time I plan to poke along very slowly and they might prefer to dive with someone else!

I've been somewhat of a solo diver for over 11 years now. As I stated in my previous post, I do make sure that I have enough redundancy in my critical gear. If the dive requires a secondary, I bring a tertiary. I've really never had the opportunity to have a full time buddy, as my significant others(wife, kids, close friends) throughout the years didn't dive, and you can't really call someone you meet on a cattleboat a real buddy. I've spent more time on those dives trying to keep my "buddy" up off the bottom, trying to stop them from grabbing everything they see for balance, or kicking over soft corals than I did actually enjoying the dive for myself.

It would be nice to have a buddy around to go with, and I've found some here on the board, but they live between 3 and 8 hours away. There are a couple of local guys here I used to dive with, but three divers in the water, one with a camera, and two with spearguns doesn't make a good team.

There are also alot of divers that I've known that dive in areas that are considered "diving by braille" in brackish waters. Not sure how that works out depending on someone else in those conditions, other than a jon line, and signals through little tugs on the line (one HUGE tug means either "GET OVER HERE NOW" or I've just been eaten by an alligator, and you now have a new dive buddy <grin>)

Anyway, that's my .02 on this topic, and if anything ever does happen to take me out of the game, I'll be sure to post here when it does.

Dive safe, and have fun

Often due to lack of interest on the part of their buddies. buddying up with another Photog doesent work any better

Kevin

Well... yes - most of the time. But it does depend on the circumstances (as follows)

[1] Wife/buddy - will always dive with her as my buddy and we have a system that keeps us close, her "entertained", and I can focus on the video (which includes her in most shots).

[2] Depth less than 60 fsw - Solo (except when the wife is along)! I take extra precaution and as depth goes beyond 40' I have to feel comfortable with the expected currents, viz, and activities around me (IE - are there many divers with buddies in a group - or just a handful on a large structure/reef. If OOA situation, I feel fine with managing a controlled ascent and will use a pony for 3 min stop @ 15' if depth beyond 40' (if 40' or less I will skip the safety stop).

[3] Depth over 60 fsw - MUST have a buddy and I will carefully pick the one who loves to go slow (this has always been a female - they are great because they relly do want to "see" what they are diving). Their reward is to get a raw copy of the "film" I shot via a CD/DVD (if they want it). Most of the time they just like to "see" the video on the way back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom