Are these fins vintage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can look them up in the catalogs (download from VDH) to confirm, but I am fairly certain that those were around in the early 70's.

I thought of maybe getting pair for doing pool laps to keep my legs in shape. But if they could be considered close to vintage (similar to vikings) then I guess it would be a bonus and I could use them for vintage exhibitions.
My LDS has them for $50 brand new, and I've tried them on they're comfy.

Are they NOS? Scubapro doesn't show them in ther web site.
I think of them as vintage, but must divers will not consider them as classic as the Vikings. I actually like them better than the Vikings, but in reality I don't really like full foot fins so my opinion is kind of irrelevant. :)

Around here they will be a challenge to use in the ocean. The water a couple days ago was 48 degrees and so they would have to be used with a pair of neoprene socks. I don't know if I could get enough power out of them for the kind of diving and conditions we have to deal with. I think jet fins are better suited for real diving in the ocean, but I thought the full foots might be kind of fun for warmer water or lakes maybe, or a vintage get together at the Breakwater in Monterey?

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalN/Breakwater_Cove/index.htm

I can't swear to it but they sure look an awful lot like the fins my x-wife had back in the late 70s. Too bad I recently threw them away but the rubber was all rotted.

Are they NOS? Scubapro doesn't show them in ther web site.
I think of them as vintage, but must divers will not consider them as classic as the Vikings. I actually like them better than the Vikings, but in reality I don't really like full foot fins so my opinion is kind of irrelevant. :)

Scubapro does have these fins on their website, but tucked away under "Snorkelpro" at

RUBBER FULL FOOT FINS - SCUBAPRO

I have a pair and I agree that they're comfortable to wear and their blades provide me with enough power for sea snorkelling. I consider them to be classic full-foot fins, reminiscent of Cressi's Rondine fins of the 1960s/1970s before that Italian company, like most other European diving equipment manufacturers, climbed on to the petrochemical industry's bandwagon. I'm delighted that Scubapro still has full-foot rubber fins in its catalogue. I'm also pleased that Japanese diving gear manufacturers have resisted the temptation to "go plastic", choosing instead to stay with natural rubber fins, particularly Gull Marine Sports, which makes Mew, Warp, Supermew and Barracuda full-foot fins in that material. They also seem to have taken over the production of the full-foot version of Apollo split fins. Gull fins are becoming easier to obtain in western countries.

The fins are the same style as the ones Scubapro came out with in 1964.So they are a vintage design.The word Vintage is misused to much.Anything can be vintage.It means from a certain era.1990 can be vintage.Antique is most items over 100 years old.Vintage scuba to me is anything from the 50's and 60's.Some people feel 70's and 80's scuba are vintage.1. (Miscellaneous Technologies / Brewing) (of wine) of an outstandingly good year
2. representative of the best and most typical vintage Shakespeare
3. of lasting interest and importance; venerable; classic vintage films
4. old-fashioned; dated
:cool2:

I know their not "actual" vintage, but if they were close enough to a vintage design that's all I really wanted to know.
Thanks.
I know the word vintage seems to be overused and misused quite a bit.
Retro or "vintage style" would be better word choices for modern stuff that looks vintage or maybe the same model was around then, but not actually from then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom