Are there any more luxurious resorts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
that are within walking distance of town? I am looking at PLG or Brisas, but wouldn't mind checking out another more $$$$ place if it was close to town. I understand that the ones that are north are too hard to get a dive op to pick up at the pier, so Im not even looking at those.

You might want to check out the Coral Princess Hotel & Resort. It's N. of the downtown pier. In front of the Punta San Juan Reef and the hotel has a scuba center.
I have not stayed there, but have heard of it & know it is rated a 4 (out of a possible 6)

IMHO the Iberostar is the nicest hotel. It is rated at a 5 but nowhere near the downtown area. The Presidente Inter-Continental is rated a 6 but I personally don't agree at all w/ that rating. It's not close to San Miguel either, but closer than the Iberostar.

You might consider renting a house in or near town. Its a great way to get digs that are a little ritzier and has the advantage of your own pool, kitchen, etc.

stay away from PLG unless you can get the room for $35 a night or less. we had revs there a year or so ago and after arriving and seeing our room(which was touted as one of their better rooms) we canceled our stay, was charged for the night anyway, and moved over to the Fiesta Americana. Brisas is much nicer than PLG but I suggest FA. I've never had a bad experience during our stays in the past.

FA is in much better shape. PLG has run-down badly in the last 10 years. FA is also in a good location, a short taxi to town and not too long a boat ride to most of the dive sites.

we'll be there in Oct. can't wait.

I have to agree with seaflea on PLG. We went there to look at the rooms as well, while we were diving from the dive shop there. The "beds" were on concrete pedestals, room was "OK" rest room was across the hall way from the room, and they told me it was 200.00 per night for that particular room!!!! My jaw practically hit the floor!
The tumerity to ask that much for that kinda room just astounded me. That killed it right there. Beside thr room didn't even have a bathroom in it. Good location though, pretty lobby, great view. Rental dive stuff at the dive shop (I don't remember the name right now) was kinda ratty, looked liked the BC would fail at any given moment. I went out on a boat dive and they never even gave a predive instruction session. All they said was "ok everyone overboard" They are a separate entitiy from PLG from what I understood, so I can't count that against PLG.

No bathroom in the room? Whaaa??? Are all PLG's rooms set up that way?

No way I'd ever get my wife to stay there under those conditions, not even for $20/night. Me either, for that matter.

For $200/night, are you sure it wasn't a suite with the bathroom across an interior hall?

THe vast majority of rooms at PLG are facing the ocean. They are bi level with a sleeping area above and a sitting area below. There is a bathroom right in the room and a small kitchen area (Just a sink and fridge - no cooking facilities.)

There are a few rooms in a tower on the other side of the hall. I've never seen one and I didn't think they ever rented them out. Diverrick, was that the room you looked at? If so, you must have been there when they were booked up to capacity and had none of the other rooms left.

Hotel rates vary depending on where and when you book. I imagine the rack rate you get if you walk in off the street is much higher than the rates that can be found by searching the Internet.

Squarepants, I would avoid PLG based on your criteria. It's a place to sleep, but not much more. Also, the last time I was in Coz there was construction going on right next door to PLG. I don't know if it's still going on but I wouldn't want to have to deal with it.

ggunn once bubbled...
No bathroom in the room? Whaaa??? Are all PLG's rooms set up that way?

The rooms at PLG are basic and clean. The beds are hard and there is a bit of a mildewy smell because the AC is always on. I would stay there again. We loved the bar and snorkelling right out front. There is no beach but a great wall for diving in. The staff was helpful and the food was okay. Good guacamole and calamari. Decent drinks. Fridge in the room. Convenient to downtown. Grocery store across the street. All in all they were acceptable. As far as I know all of the rooms have bathrooms en suite. I would stay there again but would not take my wife there. On a scale of one to ten I would rate it a 4 for the rooms and an 8 for the location and amenities.

..is an excellent resort. Nice place, friendly and helpful staff, and their onsite Dive op, The Dive House, rocks!

It's not walking distance to town, but 6 bucks and 10 minutes will get you into town for the evening.

It's about midway between San Miguel and Palancar reef so the taxi rides into town aren't too long or expensive, and the boat rides to the southern dive sites (many of the best sites) aren't long either.

I loves me some Fiesta Americana! :bang:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom