Are there any good camera for stills and video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narko

Reaction score
I've got an old Canon A95 and want to upgrade. Doesn anyone know of a camera that can be used for diving that gets both good stills and video? Price $600 -$1,000 without strobes would be nice. I'd like to get:

10Mp seems to be getting popular
30 fpm and at good resolution
Be able to take 2nd picture in under 2 seconds. (lag time).

Is there anyone here happy with both stills and video from a single camera?

Try the canon G9 - it falls in that price range (cheaper actually, at $499), 12MP, and even shoots RAW. It will also do video - 640 x 480 at 30fps (very watchable on a large TV) or 1024 x 768 at 15fps (not sure if this is very useful).

Z...

First, virtually, if not, all cameras can be used for diving. Housings are commercially available for most major-brands & plans are available for most others. The real issue when talking cameras & housings is whether the camera you are considering is worth buying a housing for. As housings tend to cost about what cameras do, investing in a housing for an older camera, or a camera that is less than the best you can afford rarely makes economic sense.

Second, I have played with a lot of cameras. Many mid-priced digitals will handle both stills & video clips, but I have yet to see one that does both stills & video well. If you only want video clips to attach to emails or to post on U-Tube, many cameras will do. If you want quality stills & quality video, I think you are out of luck — at least in the price range you are talking about.

When considering cameras, be sure you are pricing both cameras & their respective housings when you compare prices. Companies like Fantasea (Fantasea Line housings, accessories and water sports cameras) which offers the most reasonably priced housings only carries housings for Nikon, Canon & Olympus. Buying an inexpensive camera might mean spending extra to get a housing to fit. (If you are interested, I am a Fantasea dealer.)

I wish you luck & would be very interested if you find a camera in that price range that does stills & video well. Keep us informed if you find what yo are looking for.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom