Are there any airline pilots here? Regional/legacy/non-US carriers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OT I know, but I'm considering switching careers and trying for an airline job and I'd like to talk to a few pilots first. Yes, I know I won't make any money, but I'm getting sick of flying a desk everyday :D

Path I'm considering is FO on a regional, expecting to make Captain in 2-3 years, another couple of years as Captain and then looking at a non-US carrier with probable overseas domicile.

PM me if you can give me some insight.

Former airline pilot and owned my own air service for years. If you are smart, you'd forget it. Down cycle for airlines just starting again, 2 more bankruptcy's in last 10 days, fuel prices skyrocketing, insurance hassles, unions.... need more info? If you must fly, start a business, make money and buy your own plane.

owned and flew my own airplanes for 15 years, lots of fun and offers an unparalleled opportunity for personal bankruptcy :)

yeah, saw 3 have gone tango uniform in the last week. seems like every time I think about it, the industry nose dives. last time I looked into it was august 2001!

however there are a lot of flight crew set to retire in the next few years, and aircraft orders are high. supposedly world wide the demand for pilots is expected to skyrocket.

I was planning on supplementing the meager income from flying with some consulting work, which is what I do now. I can make a regional FO's annual salary in a month. how feasible is it to expect to be able to put in 80 hours a month on outside work as well as fly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom