Are rashguards worth having?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A rash guard is supposed to fit snug. That being said, I am an odd shaped person (Short and chubby) My L/S shirt does bunch a little so I make sure I try to pull any excess into the bicep area on my arms.

Being fair skinned, I rarely dive wet without some type of rash guard, but you need to be aware of how you use it. If your wetsuit uses a lot of the 'Glideskin' seals, then a rash guard prevents the suit from sticking to your skin, thus flushing water through the suit more.

There are 'Thermo-Guards' and .5-1mm shirts and full suits that can be used as dual sun/ thermal protection as well.

Hope this helps!

-Jeff

I use Under Armour and it works great for protection in and out of the wetsuit. Also works for drysuits as a great wicking layer. The compression shorts are also great as an alternative to a bathing suit or commando

I love my rashguard.. It prevents chaffing when I dive the warms springs here in Utah.

3. Can preserve your modesty where that's required - I know a lot of women have accidentally spilled out of their bikinis while getting out of wetsuits.

Well, I guess that answers the question why some guys advocate against wearing them under wetsuits.

:rofl3:

All my diving so far has been warm water, and I've never needed the wetsuit. With my pale, Celtic skin, sun protection is a major concern for me (I have like 9 or 10 of the top 12 risk factors for skin cancer), and the rash guard provides the easiest UV blocking over the largest portions of my body. Plus, it doesn't wash off, and presents no contamination risk to fish or reefs.

I have a 3mm wetsuit I bought before our trip to Mexico for the cert dives almost 2 years ago, and the only time I've worn it was trying it on in the shop. The water has never been cool enough that I've needed it.

In addition to the above, I might add it is also good protection against things like jellyfish stings. Rashguards are pretty versitile garments and sooner or later you will find yourself on a warm water dive where you don't need or want any neoprene, but you should at least use a guard..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom