Are my Regs ruined?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
OK - here's a dumbass question from a guy who only dives in fresh water...

... what do you do with a DIN reg in salt water? Do you stick those little rubber or cap things over the DIN threads?

I've never really thought about it.

I don't think it is a dumbass question, I just purchased some the other day.... here is a linkDelrin Cap

Yeah, I've got Delrin Caps that live on the three of my regs, but I never really considered them watertight. I just sort of thought of them as protection for the DIN threads.

I would disconnect my hp hose, connect to a tank and run air through it. I did the same thing last year, and took it to Fantasea and that's what they did. You just want to take off your hp hose so no water gets in your spg.

Better safe than sorry. Have it rebuilt.

It depends a lot on the type of first stage you have, but by far the best approach in all cases is to still have the reg serviced.

Hooking it up and runnng air through it could be a bad idea if it is a diaphragm reg as it could damage things internally. They are not designed to have a largely incompressible liquid forced through them.

If it is a non balanced "flow by" piston design the odds are very good that you have already or will soon force water through the bleed holes in the piston stem and up into the compression chamber. Once there, there is very little chance of getting the water out and corrosion and pitting will ensue if the water is anything but completely fresh and mineral free. It needs to be dissaembled, dried and cleaned before this occurs.

With a flow through balanced piston design, you might succeed in being able to blow the water out by using the reg, but why risk it? We are after all talking about a relatively expensive piece of life support equipment so why risk the economic loss or worse.

I kinda knew what the answer would be...just wanted some other opinions. I had to take my tanks to the LDS for fill and brought the regs along. I told the owner what happened and he said he would at least take it apart and inspect every thing. I also got to thinking that the annuals are due on them anyway so I'm having them do while it's there.

ReefGuy, I did take them to Fantasea....Jim is a good guy and did my service before. While there I ran into CBulla, KBulla and baby X they were heading up to Venice and do the Shark's Tooth Festival.

How close were you to the explosion at the Justice Center Yesterday?:eek_2: :dropmouth

Wildbill:cop_2:

Not trying to be difficult, but what exactly might get damaged?

DA Aquamaster:
Hooking it up and runnng air through it could be a bad idea if it is a diaphragm reg as it could damage things internally. They are not designed to have a largely incompressible liquid forced through them.

Zaphod:
Not trying to be difficult, but what exactly might get damaged?

The HP balancing chamber for starters....The internal dimensions for the majority of these are so small that liquid occupying the gas spaces could distort sealing surfaces to the point where failure would easily occur.

I wouldn't leave any of my regs in that condition. I service all of my own gear, and wouldn't think of not servicing mine ASAP if water intrusion occured.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom