Are Komodo currents ok for an intermediate diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived in Cozumel twice and in Komodo about 1 1/2 years ago. The currents in Cozumel while strong are more predictable and run in one direction, never usually a problem. While the currents in Komodo can 'eat you alive' unless you are with an experience guide, but well worth it!!

Komodo's current deserves big respect imho.

There are up, down, horizontal and the combinations like toilet flush etc.

The up current tried to bring me to surface, flooded my mask. Got to find something to hang on while I couldn't see, at the same time make sure mask didn't come off.
The up current also forced my group to do safety stop hanging on the rock, then held each other's hand before carried to the blue and surfaced together.

The down current brought us down right after we jumped from the boat to 18 meter, I didn't even realise it until I saw thousands of jack's eyes in sudden semi-dark (it was dusk).

The currents can be so strong that it become impossible to move forward.

Experienced guide is very important, and make sure that you keep calm is also crucial. Keep an eye on what is happening, for example, when you see others started to grab rocks or if the anemone swayed crazily, you should be prepare too.

Otherwise, enjoy!
Although i prefer to settle down and take pictures I agree that Superman dive is fun.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom