Are Kayaks Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also use a kayak and prefer to tow it when I dive. It is not a bother to pull at depths of 50 ft or less, which is most of my diving. I know that the yak has not floated off and it makes for an easier seen platform for my flag. I use a sit-on-top Ocean Kayak as well as a Wilderness System SOT. Kayaking rocks !

I also use a kayak and prefer to tow it when I dive. It is not a bother to pull at depths of 50 ft or less, which is most of my diving. I know that the yak has not floated off and it makes for an easier seen platform for my flag. I use a sit-on-top Ocean Kayak as well as a Wilderness System SOT. Kayaking rocks !

I usually tow mine also but obviously there are places that may not be possible. I did not get to use my yak last year, used our BW more or flew, cannot roll it up and put it in dive bag so there is that downside. N

Have found some of the kayaks mentioned here in Australia, plus from what I see a couple made in Australia. I have seen in a couple of Kayak posts the mention of lights. Has anyone fitted permanent lights to their kayak? Could they be charged with a small motorbike battery which is recharged with solar panel? Have considered having bulkheads made and fitted to help no water
getting in near it, would this work?

There are various air bags that are actually made for sit in kayaks that can often be stuffed into a sit on top yak, I put some in mine, found them in a sporting good store. Pool noodles also can add flotation. Putting bulkheads into a yak might not be so easy to do or even smart.

N

Nemrod when you tow it how do you attach it to your body?
Are there issues with entanglement?

I have a strap harness I used for hookak which I can attach to my tank this is what I was thinking.

ta
md

Just speaking for myself but I would never attach any float or kayak or inner tube to my body--no way--think about that carefully.

Yes, when towing if there is kelp I can see it might tangle but in the places I have used mine that has not been an issue.

I use an aluminum handle with nylon line and I hold it. Most of the time I don't use a BC but if I do, I sometimes use a small collapsing anchor, I add a puff of air to the BC to compensate for the anchor. I carry the anchor towing the yak. When I get to some place I want to stay I set the anchor, look around a bit, come back and grab the anchor and off I go. I never leave sight of that anchor. I am not saying this is the correct way, I am still a beginner kayak diver so I am also still on a learning curve also. Thing is that just because something work one place does not mean it will in another.

I do not think you should attach the tow line/anchor line to your body or rig.

N

Interesting,
Maybe would require a secondary quick release for safety.
When I hookak dive I am attached to the air compressor via the hose so I think it will be of similar risk.

Anchor sounds good as well.

certainly will be thinking lots more about this...:)
md

I like to tow my kayak also as it pulls easily. You have the comfort of knowing it's there, and you also don't have to retrace your path.

I used a plastic 8-1/2" x 2-3/4" spool I found in a fishing supply store, drilled the holes around the perimeter out larger to accommodate a double ended snap, (like an over sized finger spool). It holds about 100ft. of 3/16" nylon line.

I attach the line to the kayak, run out the line and with the snap fastened on the edge of the reel, take a twist around the snap and through the snap so it doesn't unwind.

Then I just slip my arm through the reel to my bicep. It's easy to let out more line, and it's near enough neutral in water that if for some reason you were to let go briefly, it won't get away from you. It seems less of a hassle than a flat reel like for dive floats.

I have a couple photos, and I apologize for not having figured out how to post photos. If anyone is interested, PM me with your email and I'll reply with a photo.

Dennis

We would never attach or pull a kayak while on SCUBA or freediving in the ocean. Wind, surge, swells, kelp, rocks, reefs, rouge waves, etc. would make for an unsafe dive. I guess it depends on the area. Three of my kayaks came with bulkheads. Many touring kayaks have them installed for safety. Bulkheads are easy to install. Flotation bags are available from kayak companies.

Safety Gear for Kayakers and Sailors

Paddling Gear, Kayaks, Canoes, Paddles, PFDs, Dry Bags from Ocean Kayak, Mad River and More Top Brands at REI.

The link cmburch provided has the bags that I think I have in my Scupper, however, cmburch, can you provide a link to the bulkheads you mention?

A sit on top kayak is vulnerable to flooding through hatches, especially the large forward hatch if opened at sea to retrieve gear. At least with some air bags installed you have something to hang on to should you flood. Otherwise, it is possible for a kayak to sink. With a hand bilge pump like I carry I can pump mine out in such a case.

I have never seen bulkheads in a sit on top, I am interested in them if there is a link.

N

A sit on top kayak is vulnerable to flooding through hatches, especially the large forward hatch if opened at sea to retrieve gear.

Which is why I only use my forward hatch to rinse the hull out and the rear hatch to store the plug, when not in the water :D

Hatches? We don't need no stinking hatches!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom