Are Kayaks Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shcubasteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ive been beach diving in Florida for a while and recently discovered kayaks. I love the extended range and portability a kayak provides, but have been thinking of the risks involved with such a platform. Even in perfect conditions during the summer, an accident offshore would be much harder to respond to then a traditional vessel; an eel bite would suck if you had to paddle back to shore. Also, not that sharks are a huge problem, but kayaks don't offer much protection. I would like to dive some of the reefs of Palm Beach <1mile from shore, within range of a kayak and deep enough to push NDC limits on air. Say someone gets bent (it happens) and you now have to paddle back?

I haven't decided if the risks are worth it yet so I ask, is it safe to dive from a Kayak?

It's like anything else - risk management, mitigation and acceptance.

Is it "safe" ? Depends on how you define safe. Some people don't think riding a motorcycle is safe. Some do.

You didn't make any mention of doing this activity with a buddy. Do you plan to?

What's your comfort level in your skills? In his skills? What's his comfort level in yours?

What's your plan if something happens. Do you have a plan?

Consider mitigation strategies. HAM or marine radio, sat phone, or other emergency comm devices. Oxygen kit, and the ability (training) to use it if necessary. First aid kit, and the ability (training) to use it. So forth and so on.

At the end of the day, are you prepare to engage, do you have the ability to mitigate, and is the level of risk acceptable to you? No one can decide these things for you.

Personally, it's something that I would do, if I were properly prepared and could mitigate the risks appropriately.

We have a similar thing here - you can take a water taxi out to a small island and overnight (camping). The ride out is quite a ways. If anything happens while you're out there (diving or otherwise), you may be there for a while before help comes. People do it all the time. FWIW, one such place is called "Kayaker's Cove" :)

http://aquetec.com/kayakerscove.html

PADI has a kayak diving specialty. :)

Here in SoCal kayak diving is picking up speed pretty fast. We use the kayaks to dive the outer kelp areas, some artificial reefs that are in 60', etc. Like NudeDiver said, if you prepare you're going to be fine. We carry VHF radios, a cell phone, first aid and flares. So far we haven't used any of that stuff and it's a blast to achieve some new areas.

Make sure you're comfortable in your paddling skill, can easily get in and out of your kayak and be aware of weather reports. We use Hobie Mirage (pedal) kayaks for two reasons - they are far less susceptible to wind and current and their large tankwells are adequate for a BCD, tank and fins.

We're putting together some videos on our diving setups, I'll make sure to post them here.

PADI has a kayak diving specialty. :)
Well, there's a shocker. :)

I think the OP's question is more about "going off diving indepdently" than diving from a kayak per se. Based on this description:

As part of your Kayak Diver Specialty course, you'll learn about:

* Kayak diving planning, organization, procedures, techniques, problems and hazards
* Proper kayak diving etiquette, including equipment storage and conduct
* Specific and local diving laws and ordinances
I don't think the course will really cover the most critical things the OP needs to know, concerning risk management and mitigation.

Speaking of which - OP got me thinking about my own issues and preparation for things. I've been planing to get into amateur radio, in conjunction with the "bug out" trailer I am building, but I should also get something for diving excursions, much like the OP described and like the one I followed up with involving the water taxis. I've ALSO been considering getting a pair of GMRS radios for other outdoor purposes. So, after some light research, I think I'm going to get one of these for my diving purposes. It does Marine VHF and GMRS, for a reasonable price. OP - you might consider getting one as well for your kayak diving.

Last edited:
I don't get the question...you get bent and have to paddle back? Seems so, if you paddled out there.............

Had to laugh at the PADI "badge". I think there's a certification for how many certifications you can get.

But it actually sounds fun. That is, as long as the current is running with you on the way back...otherwise could be a tough one. And you want to deco dive to boot?

LOL. I guess I should be more explicit when asking questions.
...so I ask, is it safe to dive from a Kayak?

Mainly looking for opinions here about the topic and what others have done, so I have something to compare my methods too. I dive in yak teams, with 2 up, 2 down. I carry most things listed, save the DAN o2kit: Hand held radio, cell phone, small 1st aid kit stay in the drybox inside the hull. For the shallow reefs here on the Treasure Coast(<15 FSW), I have been enjoying my hookah setup: 1st and 2nd stage separated by 50' of pressure rated, food grade hose, tank stays on the yak.

I sense some negativism here :confused:... deco dives from a kayak? common.

When Visiting the Venice area for Florida I have scene alot of divers headed out in kayaks. You may want to repost in the Florida area or check there for more info and feed back.

ChainSaw0069:
When Visiting the Venice area for Florida I have scene alot of divers headed out in kayaks. You may want to repost in the Florida area or check there for more info and feed back.

The scenes I've seen sometimes have kayakers, sometimes not.

Back
Top Bottom