Are all dive log books the same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rileymartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My dive book got trashed and I need to buy a new one. Are they all the same or has anyone come accross one that they like much more than others? Thanks.

Riley

I just use software now. Many free options out there. If you need proof (for some odd reason), just hit print.

If you're using PADI tables, you might want a PADI log book, because those have the right setup to track your letter groups and such. If you're using a dive computer, it really doesn't matter what kind you buy.

I don't like any commercial ones I've seen. Always too big because they're full of space for stuff I don't care to log, but not for what I want. I make my own. I suggest make your own or do it online.

I make my own from "wet notes" and the cordura cover made for this item. I divide each page into 3 sections and often record multiple dives in each section. Cover has a place to store c-cards and I also keep passport there. Cover is small enough to fit in back pocket and there are enough pages to record hundreds of dives. Wet notes can be purchased from Golem Gear, DiveRite (I think), and numerous other technically oriented suppliers.

Wet notes are pricey, I make my own using water proof paper from Xerox. It comes in 8 1/2" X 11" so I print two pages on one sheet and trim it to fit my ring binder. You can use MS Word, MS Excel, MS Publisher or you favorite software that allow you to make lines for the fill-in spots. On the back of each page I have room for a small map sketch of the site after the dive.

Things I include besides the usual depth, bottom time, date are what my weighting was, exposure suit used, which regulator setup was used, general water temp for figuring future dives, general discription of site (ie are there toilets, a shower, sand or rock entry, etc.).

I use a lined record book I bought at an office supply store. It's much more flexible and quite a bit cheaper.
Me too, pretty much. Just a little diary-like 3" x 4" book with lined pages. I record about 2-5 lines per dive. Sometimes only the dive number, date and location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom