Are Alarms Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok all, here is your thread to speak out about Alarms on Dive Computers. But first here is WHY I created this thread.

Over the last year I have seen a people pop in with their opinion on the validity of sound alarms on DC's. One issue I have with this is they are on the wrong thread and inappropriate for the conversation. Why, because when someone asked about the difference of 2 or 3 DC's there are looking at the features, NOT whether or not they should use them. Those statements are off topic from the original question, it was a product review they where looking for.

Second issue I have, there are multiple types of divers on this forum, beginners, intermediate, advanced, professionals and arrogant. Many beginners or fair weather divers imitate what they see and hear.

Last weekend I was buddy up'd with an old 65+ fair weather diver. At the end of the Night Dive, the DM took off his fins at 35 feet and shot up to the ladder of the boat. My buddy, sitting at around 25 feet, thought to do the same thing. He took of is fins, and tried to swim to the surface. I watched him struggle all the way up. He also missed the boat by 30-40 feet. He could not pull him self in on the line because his hands where full and struggled all the way to the boat. I stayed just behind him the whole time to provide assistance if needed. On the boat, the gentleman complained on how that was dumb of him and he was exhausted. This could have ended badly.

This is the short version, missing a lot of details. 3 years ago, I was working with an instructor as a DM. I know that on a 60 foot drift dive on a al80 I can dive for 65 minutes and still have 1200 lbs. of air. On this dive, I was assisting with some new divers on final check out dive. I ended up working my ass off, as one diver was all over the place, his weight was off, he could not swim, it was not fun. 30 minutes into the dive, I dropped below 800 lbs. A lot of bad things could have happened from this point, but I called the dive everyone made it on the boat.

Where my alarms off, yes they where, did I recognize the situation, yes I did. Will I ever dive without my alarms again... Hell No.

Should we rely on the alarms… NO. Should be do our due diligence in teaching young divers to know their situation an not rely on the alarms, YES. That said, Anything that can Possibly save a persons life, I say use them.

There are those of you that will disagree, and I respect that. I strongly believe that topics of this nature need to be done, in the right forum to the right audience.

Side note, I will never work with that instructor again as I do not believe he put safety first.

Have situational awareness of where you and your buddies are, how deep and long you've been underwater and try to think at least a few minutes ahead of your current dive state. If someone does something dangerous then it's not appropriate for others to follow blindly.

When your internal alarms go off, stop and think before acting the correct way. That's why dive planning is so important; at least some contingencies can be thought off and actions predetermined.

I'm a little confused. Are you talking about internal alarms, as in the sense that a situation is dangerous? Or literal alarms on your dive computer? The only one I'm familiar with is the ascent rate alarm, though I don't use an AI computer so maybe I'm missing something.

some also have alarms you can set for remaining NDL, exceeding MOD or set depth limit, and total dive time.

they have some limited usefulness for those divers that don't pay attention to their computers, like lane assist and automatic braking for inattentive drivers.

I think is great there are alarms available on dive computers but they are definitely not for me.

Alarms, tank bangers and any other sound producing devices take away from my dives and I don't want to be around anyone using them either.

Like the post above I agree that noise is probably useful for people that get distracted. Good analogy on the lane assist for inattentive drives, I don't even care for automatic transmission on my vehicles. Maybe I should apply for an official "old fart" card.

I'm on the fence about my computer's ascent rate alarm: it's twitchy and annoying and you can't turn it off. And when one's beeping you don't necessarily know it's yours that's doing it. On the flip side it's twitchy and annoying and you can't turn it off so you have to learn to pay attention to your buoyancy and movements so as to keep that ***n thing quiet.

We logged close to 30 dives last trip, mine beeped maybe 3 times on the entire trip, and my wife's: about as many times too. And 2 times out of 3 I knew when it was mine. So maybe they're not so bad after all.

I've only been diving since 1975 and in that short amount of time I've never lost track of how much air I had or how long or deep my dive was. I dive with not one but two AI computers and an SPG. I dive with the alarms on. One never knows what could occur to cause a distraction, such as getting involved in rescuing another diver (which I hope to never do again) but I don't want my epitaph to read about how stupid I was for turning off a safety feature. I look at it like a seat belt. I always wear mine even though I've never had a serious accident.

I don't have much of a basis for comparison, but my Cressi Leonardo's ascent alarm seems overly sensitive. I did a couple shark dives in Playa del Carmen, where we knelt on the ocean floor for pretty much the whole dive, and my computer registered ascent alarms while I was kneeling--perhaps when I spotted a shark and quickly raised my camera? Seems at a certain point it's like crying wolf; I'm just not going to pay attention if the damn thing's always freaking out.

I did a couple shark dives in Playa del Carmen, where we knelt on the ocean floor for pretty much the whole dive, and my computer registered ascent alarms while I was kneeling--perhaps when I spotted a shark and quickly raised my camera?

"Registered" in the log, or beeped? If it beeped you must have very long arms.

Back
Top Bottom