Archeological find

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Did anyone happen to see this report on FOX-4 News last night in Dallas?

UNDERWATER ARCHAEOLOGY/RED RIVER

Archaeologists from Texas A&M's Institute of Nautical Archaeology and the Oklahoma Historical Society have joined forces to excavate the earliest Western River Steamboat ever studied. The work goes on during summer and fall months in the Red River near Fort Towson, Oklahoma.

Amatuer archaeologists can volunteer on the steamboat project. Both divers and above-water help are often used. If you are interested call John Davis at Fort Towson at 580.873.2643.

I saw that on the news repeat this morning during Good Day. They are pretty much down for the winter and they said if you want to volunteer they need topside help as well as underwater. It will start back up in the spring/summer.

Are they still working on that? It's not too far from me. I had forgotten about it.

Bet that is some great vis!!! lol

Every spring Texas A&M has "Shipwreck Weekend" sponsored by our Nautical Archaeology Dept.. They hold seminars that talk about ongoing projects, including this one. As I recall the divers work in 0-1 foot vis, and contend with all sorts of debris, currents, and annoying aquatic life (snapping turtles, snakes). Not a whole lot of fun.

The work on the Confederate blockade runner off Bolivar Peninsula wasn't much better. Don't know if they're still working on that one, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom