Arch cramps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I keep having arch cramps when I dive. I started out with soft sole booties and had them, I then went to hard sole booties and still have them. When I get to depth I dont notice the cramps so I am wondering if maybe it has something to do with the fin size? I have tried keeping my fin straps loose and I have tried them tight and I still have cramps. I dont have the problem with any of my shoes on land so any ideas?

Omni

One option is to try a different type of fin.
When you enclose the toes in a foot pocket and push a flat shape fin blade through the water the foot is forced into extreme plantar flexion and this over contraction on the muscles results in micro trauma, which causes muscle spasms that induces into cramps over time.

Force Fin Force Fin swim fins has a patented open toe pocket design and your ankle will always stay in the normal range of motion so your muscles never become over contracted and you are less likely to experience cramps. Force Fin offers a 30 day no questions money back policy so it is worth a try. The only question they ask is how many times you used the fins, because they prefer you dive them at least 4 times before you form an opinion. Use the Fins for 30 days and you still can return them is a great chance to see if you can get rid of your cramp problems for good!
The Truth About Dive Fins

it could be fin size, but since you have tried 2 differrent boots with it that change how the fin fits, I think that you have ruled that out. the problem probably lays with the fins themselves not pairing up well with your style and strengths resulting in increased muscle fatigue and eventually cramping.

arch cramps are normally associated with over entension of you foot and the constant to pointing that you have to do with you current fins.

as Blair has already said, by switching over to ForceFins you will alleviate the cramping issues, reduce fatigue and generally enjoy the dive more. This occurs due to switching the primary movers from your calves to your quads. Larger muscle groups can produce the same amount of power much more easily alleviating the calf cramps. The toes free pocket allows you to completely relax your foot relieving the arch cramps

This has happened to me a few times with my scubapro split fins. But i think it was because they were a little too flimsy. And i noticed it would happen when i tried to point my foot to be straight with my leg, and work hard to kick.

Last edited:
i used to have this problem when I tightened my straps too tight, I dont think thats your problem but I noticed my feet were a little bit curled when I tightened them that much, maybe if you got different fins (as so many other ppl have said :D)

I had a pair of fins that I couldn't swim with for 5 minutes without getting arch cramps. Try some other fins, one type may solve your problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom