AquaVox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ew1usnr

Contributor
Reaction score
Do any of you remember the AquaVox? It is a cup that a regulator plugs into so that the divers mouth is free, allowing them to talk to another diver while underwater. Check out the attached photo. I bought a new-in-the-box "AquaVox" off ebay for $7.99. These sold new for $99.95 back around 1985. It gives some of the advantages of a full face mask but is easier to take off if you have to switch regulators. This will be fun to try out.

Kindly tell me how your test turns out. It would be interesting to know if it truly is effective.

Now that I come to think of it, whatever happened to the SCUDA?

i wonder if we have that in our LDS...
and is it that useful?
though i think it will lessen the occurrence of jaw fatigue...

I tried it this past weekend in fresh water. It sort of worked. The sound doen't carry far. The speaker has to get close to the listeners ear. The listener has to not inhale or exhale to hear what the speaker is saying. My brother was taking pictures and wore an AquaVox also. I was able to here him say "That's a good shot over there" as he pointed. Breathing in and out through my open mouth made my lips feel cold and I eventually took the AquaVox off and switched over to my other mouthpiece.

The AquaVox might work for adding commentary while filming underwater video. For general use, sign language or a slate would be more effective. It was fun to test, though.

I took the strap off so that the AquaVox could be seen easier in the attached photo.

Does it beep or give a tone before the message comes through, so you know to stop breathing? I think the newer ones do, but they run close to a grand.

Love all the vintage gear pics, by the way......

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom