Aquatica vs Nauticam for NEX 5N

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just purchased my Sony NEX 5N and I'm loving it for topside. As I look around at different brands of housing, each company has features that are appealing. For example, 10Bar has focus and zoom controls on their port for the 18-55 but as a cold water diver I'm concerned with the tiny button controls, which has basically ruled out this housing. Nauticam's buttons are further spaced apart and has a lever style shutter that seems nice. Aquatica has the joy stick that mimics the camera itself. These are observations based only on pictures so far. I wish I could get my hands on these, physically, before I buy....but that seems near impossible.

Right now I'm using a older Canon Powershot A610 in a canon housing. I'm getting decent pics but the shutter is stiff and my pics aren't as crisp as they could be....so I'm a bit sensitive to the shutter issue. I enjoy taking macro pics but hope to take super macro eventually. A suggestion of lens combinations would be much appreciated as well....and I suspect will affect my housing choice.

Is there anywhere, a side-by-side review posted on the 'net that I can compare these housings? Maybe there is a discussion here on SB that I've missed? Or better yet, personal comments and experiences would be awesome.

Kerry

Hi Kerry, I've seen some really good reviews for the camera housings at site below. Looks like a nice system for underwater. Good luck with the decision.

Last edited:
Hi Kerry, I've seen some really good reviews for the camera housings at SERVARDA BAKIM VAR. Looks like a nice system for underwater. Good luck with the decision.

The link you sent doesn't work and the writing is in another language....I'm going to assume that it is saying 'the server is down'. :confused:

My review of the Nauticam NA-NEX5 housing can be found in the back issues of Underwater Photography Magazine at UWPMAG.com. Issue # UWP57.

The article includes the use of the housing with the Nikonos lens adapter.

The NA-NEX5/5n housings are excellent and at this time Nauticam has eleven housings for mirrorless cameras and growing. They also have ten or more ports which are interchangable amoung these housing and will be going forward with new product releases like the Olympus E-M5 housing which was just released.

I have no opinion on the Aquatica housing which I have never used other than to say they have always had great product support from owners. Also it does not appear on the web site that they are supporting many of the lenses for the NEX line and did not followup with an NEX-7 housing.

Phil Rudin

just got my aquatica today, will dive it this weekend, and let u all know

The Nauticam housing has a large knob on the side to do manual zoom. It is very easy to turn with thick gloves. Quality of housing is superb.

If using the 18-55 kit lens and corresponding port, will that zoom button work up to 55mm? Seems doubtful from the pics as that would require the port to be 2 inches longer than the lens. Also, is there a manual focus button on the nauticam? Hopefully someone with the unit in hand can confirm.

sorry for being dense, can you confirm that the lens when in the 18mm position is about 1" back from the standard 18-55 nauticam FLAT port? and other than the zoom ring, which i believe is not included with the 18-55 port, thats all thats needed for zoom control no curve port?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom