AquaSports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devils_advocate

Contributor
Reaction score
Has any of you ever used AquaSports out of Cancun? I am thinking of booking several dives through them. Are they okay...friendly wise, equipment wise, money wise and most importantly dive quality?

Although you've yet to acknowledge the Cancun dining advice I provided below, I'll again venture forth.

AquaSport is a large, tightly scheduled op serving a very mixed bag of divers. While they are safe & professional with decent boats, this means regimented, least common denominator scuba.

For a more personal & flexible experience, you might want to look into Solo Buceo http://www.solobuceo.com/default.htm & Blue Peace http://www.bluepeacediving.com .

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I like the site that blue peace has and they offer about the same package deal as AquaSports..

Do you recommend making reservations well ahead of schedule? Or more of the day before?

I'll be there in last two weeks of June.

I know this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyways. Is it proper to tip the divemaster if it is 'included' in the dive? And what is a reasonable tip in Mexico?

If you're talking about a walk up for just yourself or you & one other buddy, revervations typically are not needed in the summer months.

The issue with "gratuity included" is that one never can be sure how much management really passes on. If it were me doing the diving, I'd follow the advice given below with perhaps a reduction in percentages figuring that the company must be giving the DM & crew at least something from the package charge.

The following is the un-edited version of a piece from my "Ask RSD" column of the Oct '99 in "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"How much, when and whom do I tip on a day dive boat?

As with tipping in other situations, dive boat gratuities are a personal matter, although local customs should be respected. For example, tipping is not yet customary in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other countries.

In many locations, including the US, Mexico and greater Caribbean, however, it does seem generally agreed that tipping for good service on a dive boat is appropriate. Keep in mind that some crews derive much, and occasionally nearly all, of their income from gratuities, regardless of whose “fault” this is. Repeat customers of a dive op can well vouch for the value of recognition of crew effort.

For those interested in tipping, guidelines for day dive boats include: (1) Gratuities are just that, something given voluntarily and beyond obligation for a service rendered. They are not mandatory--if the service is very poor, don't leave anything; (2) An appropriate amount for good service is somewhere between 15-20 percent of the cost of the diving expenses, not including gear rental, park or chamber fees, and other incidentals. This amount should be adjusted so as to fit the level of service, with a range of 0 to 20 percent being acceptable, although some generous divers do leave more; (3) In most situations, you need tip only one crew member, often the DM who primarily attended you. The tip will be shared among the crew according to their internal agreements. If a particular crew member rendered a special service which was above and beyond the call of duty, e.g., brought a piece of his personal gear from home for your use, cleaned up after you following an episode of sea sickness, etc., then an individual gratuity could be justified; and (4) If your crew changes every day, tips will probably be most fairly shared if given daily. If your crew is stable and you desire to consider tips at the end of the trip, let the DM know. Of course, human nature being what it is, the immediate rewards of a tip at the end of each diving day may result in the best service.

Finally, if in doubt about tipping, ask around. Local divers can tell you about their customs, and the consensus of your fellow divers will give you a good idea of what is appropriate."

In Coz, if you tip $5 per dive, no one will be angry.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom