Aquashot II modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill_bain

Contributor
Reaction score
Some time ago, I posted concerning whether it might be possible to modify an Aquashot II housing to accept some other disposable cameras since the ones it was designed for are no loger available. I recognize that Ikelite has moved away from disposable camera housings and while I wouldn't go out and buy an Aquashot II, it is nice not to have to put it out to pasture yet!

Below is some text and pictures. Onther than a small strip of wood, the only item to buy is an "expansion washer" from the local hardware store. This is a neoprene "hat" with a threaded brass insert. The outside diameter should be about 7/8":

Cut the part of the washer with the brass threaded insert off, leaving a neoprene washer with a collar:

This new, wider collar will replace the rubber "grabber" on the Aquashot II winder that engages the film advance wheel:

You can use the various washers and spacers that were on the old winder to locate the wider collar so it engages the winder on the narrower new camera. When you put it back together, don't forget the little "X" washer that's in the housing body around the winder shaft. If you do, the housing will leak. Also, 7/8" is about as wide as you can get in the housing -- if the shaft is skewed by too wide a collar pressign on the rear of the housing, it will leak as well.

[Continued in next post]

The next step is to modify the Fuji camera slightly. I used the "single pack" Fuji QuickSnaps from Wal-Mart, they are different, as noted below, from those in the twin packs. The ones I have have a "use before" date of March 2006, so if you do buy a bunch, they'll be good for a while. I keep mine in the unopened package in the refirgerator.

Fuji cameras have a "continuous flash" mode that powers the flash continuously and is activated by *lifting* the tab that covers the flash button. Since the tab, once lifted, sticks out too far, the simple solution is to lift the tab, then cut off the part that sticks out -- you can still lift it with a fingernail before you put the camera in the housing. The newer Fuji cameras in the Wal-Mart twin packs have a button that slides up and locks, so this might not be needed on the newer ones -- experimentation is the order of the day.

Almost done. Put the camera in the hosuing, centering the lens as much as possible while making sure that the Aquashot shutter plunger will engage the camera's shutter button and that the winder wil engage the camera's film advance. The wood shim is used to hold the smaller camera in place. Note that the flash won't sit square behind the window; however, it is still blocked from the camera lens by the foam strip alongside the flash window. I use the Substrobe so this is not an issue since all the on-camera flash does is activate the Substrobe.

You can still see the camera's flash ready light in the housing window and the film counter as well.

OK, so it's not elegant, but it does work -- see the sample picture taken last week in the Keys.

Happy diving!

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your detailed instructions on modifying the old AquaShot. I already made a [very slight] upgrade to an Auto 35 (it should show up any day), but was miffed at letting my once-significant Aquashot investment disappear for $5 on eBay. I'm going to give your method a shot and hopefully end up with a useful camera for beach parties or for my son, when he dives (and he WILL dive :) ) in four years. Thanks again for all your time taking photos and posting instructions!

Eric M.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom