Aquarium in Berlin Explodes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In what must be one of the greater understatements of 2022:

"Due to the recently reported incident in regards to the AquaDom, SEA LIFE Berlin is unfortunately temporarily closed," according to their site.

It has also been reported by hyperbolic NPR, that Berlin Police have assessed the scene as an incident of "incredible maritime damage" -- yeah, right up there with the Lusitania; nice to know, though, that NPR and those men in blue truly understand the meaning of the word.

The AP was a bit more restrained, with: "Huge Berlin aquarium bursts, unleashing flood of devastation." A lamentable failure of a tourist attraction or the arrival of Godzilla? That's really up to you.

I saw that aquarium, before its recent, eh, "renovation" (aside from depraved nightlife, one of the bigger attractions in Berlin), maybe a decade ago -- and, apologies to some otherwise stellar German engineering, I could only think, at the time, that a sixteen meter high, graduated glass cylinder filled with 1,000,000 liters of seawater wasn't ever die beste Idee der Welt . . .

I saw that aquarium, before its recent, eh, "renovation" (aside from depraved nightlife, one of the bigger attractions in Berlin), maybe a decade ago -- and, apologies to some otherwise stellar German engineering, I could only think, at the time, that a sixteen meter high, graduated glass cylinder filled with 1,000,000 liters of seawater wasn't ever die beste Idee der Welt . . .

Bad news bros… according to wikipedia that old water tank centerpiece was made in the good old usa…

Bad news bros… according to wikipedia that old water tank centerpiece was made in the good old usa…
No kidding. They certainly weren’t advertising that at the time.

Well, then I am pleasantly surprised that the Colorado acrylic panels lasted almost twenty years . . .

That's really bad news indeed, now the Germans will blame it all on the US and will taunt us forever...

That's really bad news indeed, now the Germans will blame it all on the US and will taunt us forever...
Europeans blaming the US for everything, saying Americans all fat, stupid, and lazy? It's no different than your average Monday. ....or Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday ....

---

Silliness aside, this is all a real shame :(

Americans all fat
Only 70%+

Americans all fat
In this particular matter, they do have a point actually. I didn't notice it until I had to travel frequently between Europe and the US for work for few years. I usually had to overnight in Zurich and did notice the difference when returning back home in NY and visiting the malls after the Zurich visit. It is rare to see an obese person there but normal in US. I only see the big butts (heavy load bearing size) back home :)

They certainly exactly knew what corals where inside that tank
I meant for us, but sure. Could also put that in quantity since corrals grow and die. They may also not be fully documented with said growth and death.

Some information here as to how it may have occurred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom